World Cup Prediction Competition

barry houdini

MrExcel MVP
My "alter ego" daddylonglegs has initiated an exciting World Cup Prediction Competition. See below for details

Just in case he didn't say......it's free......:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
So I guess I need to become a member at the other site to actually download the spreadsheet? And I know nothing about soccer except that the US will win it this year. :rolleyes:

Hello schielrn,

Sorry, I didn't realise you'd have to join up......you can also access the workbook here

Lack of "soccer" knowledge doesn't debar you from entry.......it didn't prevent Graham Taylor from being England Manager for 3 years.....:(

If you want to enter then fill in your predicted scores for all 48 matches (the first one is shown as an example - of course you can change it). Also fill in a name and a prediction for the total number of goals in those 48 games.

You get 3 points if you correctly pick a draw, 4 points for a win for the lower ranked team (lower ranks have higher numbers) and 2 points for a win for the favourite. You get 2 extra points for getting the score exactly right.

email the sheet to me at ddotaddylonglegsatvirgindotnet

I'll produce a sheet with all the predictions so that you can follow your progress.

I'll donate £50 to a recognised charity of the winners choice - good luck

Last edited:
OK, original link has been removed so here are the (slightly revised) original instructions.....

Hello everybody, it's now less than 7 days until the biggest sporting event on the planet (possibly).

I have devised a fiendishly simple prediction competition, here are 10 reasons why you should enter

1.) It's free
2.) It's simple
3.) As long as at least 15 people enter I'll donate £50 to a recognised charity of the winner's choice
4.) You can test your football knowledge against some of the world's top excel experts (and me)
5.) It's free
6.) You can follow your progress and compare against other participants in a no-expense-spared-state-of-the-art excel spreadsheet
7.) It's free
8.) er.......
9.) that's it

Here's what you do

Open the spreadsheet here
Fill in your predicted scores for all 48 group games (first one is filled in as an example - of course you can change it).
Fill in a name (the name you want displayed - used an alias if you wish)
Fill in the "tie-breaker" under "Goals (48)" - that's how many goals you think will be scored in those 48 games.
Now save the workbook and email it to me at the following address

barrydothoudiniatvirgindotnet

replace the red parts with the obvious

Rules

Scoring is as follows:

A rank is displayed against every team based on the current world rankings, and converted to a ranking within the 32 world cup qualifiers [the "highest" rank is 1]. If you predict a draw and the result is a draw (any draw) you get 3 points. If you predict a win for the higher ranked team and that team wins (by any score) you get 2 points, if you predict a win for the lower ranked team and that team wins you get 4 points. you get 2 additional points if you get the exact score right.

For example in game 1 South Africa play Mexico and Mexico are higher ranked (14 to 31) so if you predict a 2-1 win for South Africa and they win 2-1 you get 6 points, 4 for predicting a win by the lower placed team, and 2 for the correct score. If you predict 2-1 and the result is 3-1 then you'll just get the 4 points etc......

All scores are added and the highest score after 48 games is the winner. Any ties will be decided by the tie-breaker in favour of the closest guess. If it's still tied then kudos and charity are shared.

Predictions need to be emailed to me by 13:00 BST on Friday 11th June 2010 - that's 2 hours before the kick-off of the first game.

I will be adding my predictions and updating the workbook to show all predictions and adding a table that will update as you enter the scores. Remember, if you don't want to see your name in lights - use an alias

Advice

It's meant to be fun - anybody taking it too seriously will be lightly ridiculed

If you don't know anything about football (e.g. Arsenal supporters) don't let that stop you entering - for those of you who really know nothing about football, typical top level football games average less than 3 goals a game, so you may not get very far predicting 8-7 scorelines.......

In the last World Cup in Germany in 2006 the 48 group games produced a total of 117 goals (2.4375 per game on average).

Good luck

Any questions please feel free to post here

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Hello Schielrn, thank you for your participation and good luck to you - I believe you are the first US entrant, although I have already received entries from New Zealand, England (of course), Canada and (indirectly) South Africa - so it's a truly global contest......

I still want plenty more though, please fell free to enter, even if "soccer" isn't your thing - you have nothing to lose :)

Just an update......

I've had a number of entries.......but ideally I want more - if you are undecided whether to enter please take the plunge - it's just for fun......:)

I know some of you out there have "borrowed" my spreadsheet for your own competitions - please feel free.

Has anyone let Excel decide on the results by using RANDBETWEEN(0,?)?
I'm thinking perhaps the machine would be better at predicting scores than I am........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back