Which Door Leads to Heaven?

jdsouza

Board Regular
There are two doors and seated before each, is one spirit being.

One is the devil, who is a compulsive liar. The other is an angel, who always tells the truth, regardless. Both converse with only a "Yes" or a "No".

There is no way to tell which of the two is the devil / angel.

One of the doors leads to heaven, the other to hell. And you need to know which door leads to heaven.

You are allowed to ask any ONE of the spirit beings only ONE question.

What would your question be and based on the response know which door leads to heaven?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Ask which door leads to heaven.
The devil will point to hell, the angel will think of the answer that the devil will say and also point to hell leaving you to take the other door.

Ask the question for which you expect only a Yes or No as an answer.

You're so 'somewhat' right. Perhaps, memory needs to be jogged a bit more ..

"If I were to ask you if the door on the right leads to heaven, would you say yes?"

If it were true, the angel would say yes, and the devil would say yes (if asked if it were the door, he'd say no; asked if he were asked, he'd say yes).

Your question could have stopped at "Is this the door that leads to heaven?" Then the opposite of the Yes or No answer would be unambiguous.

What am I missing? The angel and devil would always give opposite answers to, "Is this the door that leads to heaven?"

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Door A[/TD]
[TD]Door B[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Door A[/TD]
[TD]Door b[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Devil[/TD]
[TD]Angel[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Angel[/TD]
[TD]Devil[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]What would the being in front of Door 'B' say if I asked him, is Door 'A' the door that leads to heaven?[/TD]
[TD]What would the being in front of Door 'A' say if I asked him, is Door 'A' the door that leads to heaven?[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]What would the being in front of Door 'B' say if I asked him, is Door 'A' the door that leads to heaven?[/TD]
[TD]What would the being in front of Door 'A' say if I asked him, is Door 'A' the door that leads to heaven?[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The correct answer is ..

The angel and the devil would give the same answer but the opposite is true.
What would the other entity (spirit being) say if I asked him, it this is the door that leads to heaven?

If the answer obtained is "Yes", Actually Door 'B' leads to heaven. If the answer is 'No' then Door 'A' leads to heaven.

I think mine is equally valid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back