what's the difference :huh:

Even stranger: I opened this thread in IE and looked at the HTML. Still not seeing the nbsp there.

Even stranger: I opened this thread in IE and looked at the HTML. Still not seeing the nbsp there.

thank you both for finding where the problem is
don't know if it's relevant: in my Table-It code the space is Chr(160)

MySpc = Chr(160)

that is *weird*
we are both using firefox, but it's interpreting the page differently?

OH!! I figured it out
If I DON'T select the text above first, if I just go to View, Page Source - I see what Kristy sees.

but what I'm doing is HIGHLIGHTING the text first and right-clicking, view selection source.

want a video?

Why in the world would selecting an area cause the source HTML to display differently? That doesn't seem right. :confused:

I don't know.. but it does

ask firefox :biggrin:

thank you both for finding where the problem is
don't know if it's relevant: in my Table-It code the space is Chr(160)

MySpc = Chr(160)

Hmm. That may just be it, Erik!

Your code--while it is entering the same number of spaces to display the data as aligned, is using Chr(160) and entering "normal" spaces such as the ones in my sentence here. It is a simple ASCII code for a space. When the HTML gets generated by the board, it is condensing the multiple spaces down to only 1.

That's a theory, mind you. I'm not positive that is what is actually happening here.

However: in HTML code using & nbsp; (and & #160; for that matter) results in a "non-breaking" space. Basically, using nbsp *forces* the page to display that space.

At least that's how HTML tends to work in general.

a non-breaking space (NBSP) is a special space character that prevents an automatic line break (line wrap) at its position. It is also known as a hard space or fixed space. It can also be used to get multiple spaces in a row in systems like HTML that reduce sequences of normal spaces to a single space.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space
http://kb.iu.edu/data/agjn.html

I have no idea when it comes to figuring out some of the ways the board deals with HTML, though. It's a little strange with some things.

I rambled a bit in the post above, sorry.

At any rate: that still doesn't really explain everything. I mean, you're not even *using* nbsp. I'm not exactly positive as to why it displays correctly when pasted directly from the add-in.

I'm currently thinking that the display issue maybe due to copying the displayed *text* and pasting it--which may be running into that issue with HTML condensing the extra spaces as I mentioned above.

I've run into something like that when I copy some text examples from the board at times (using Firefox, at any rate). It can display all well and good in columns in the thread, but when I paste it into Excel it's all jumbled together. If I click the "quote" button on the thread and copy the text from the source and paste it into Excel it displays "correctly" and I am able to easily use text to columns to separate it.

thanks for going on with this :)

other samples which might provide some useful thoughts

ex3
  A  B  
1 a1 b1 

ex3bis
added 4 spaces before and between each item manually
   A   B  
1  a1  b1 

1 space was added but not before second line

copied from ex3
ex4
A B
1 a1 b1

ex5
  A      B  
1 a1     b1 
2 a22222 b2 

accounts

[Table-It] version 02 by Erik Van Geit

ex6 copied from ex5
A B
1 a1 b1
2 a22222 b2

accounts

[Table-It] version 02 by Erik Van Geit

Kristy & Tracy,

Off topic, but about 'seeing' anyway...

Why can't Firefox show a post with an exhibit (prepared with HtmlMaker) the way IE does? The former seems not to effect 'fit to screen' if that's how it's called, requiring endless right-scrolling.

Why can't Firefox show a post with an exhibit (prepared with HtmlMaker) the way IE does? The former seems not to effect 'fit to screen' if that's how it's called, requiring endless right-scrolling.

I have no idea. As far as speculation goes, I would imagine that the issue would have nothing to do with the board and everything to do with Firefox. Seeing as this happens with other threads that, for example, simply post a long formula--as text--and do not use the HTML Maker, it is not an issue with the add-in.

I think it's simply a matter of how Firefox handles wrapping. I can't promise anything and I don't know if anything can be done about it, but I can search around a bit and see if anyone has been able to fix the issue or at least figure out what is causing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back