What would you do...

InTurn123

Board Regular
...if you had no work to do but you couldn't leave work?

I could use some suggestions.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Same situation here, for the most part. Sadly it's pretty much a daily occurrance for me... :-?

Really? What do you do?

Surely you have thought of something you could do? The only thing i've thought of is drawing, which I suck at.

Well, I have some "instructions" I can (re)type up, but I've been putting that off for at least a *year,* now. Whenever I start to work on it, I just get extremely bored and my brain just kind of shuts down. So I stop.

Right now I'm poking around the online supply catalog for cheaper replacements of the things I usually order. That's killed some time this afternoon. And, if you couldn't tell, I tend to hang around here quite a bit, and check livejournal and my email and other websites consistently throughout the day...

Yea i've noticed.

i would go to other websites but i think it might look bad, this is atleast sort of work related. I think. But what do i know what qualifies as work related, i'm only an intern.

Eh, it worked out for me. I mean, I pretty much get to do what I want, time-wise. When things come up for me to do, I do them but then I'm back at square one with nothing.

I would definately say that finding this board and hanging out here hasn't been a waste of time, however. I've basically learned what I know of VBA because of it. So about 5 years ago, I knew it was possible to record macros to do simple things, but that was about it. Now I can write some macros on my own. Several months ago I even wrote a macro for my boss to automatically get info from a txt file and put it into multiple other sheets.

Doing that was fun for me. I *wanted* to work on it. Then there's that typing I mentioned earlier--complete other end of the spectrum :)

Oh, I don't mind data entry. That's fine.

Occasionally I get a little "side job" of creating forms in Word for someone at my husband's office. I *love* doing those, as it gives me something to do during work. I get printouts of the forms, then I re-create it with form fields, etc. in Word so people can just fill it out and print. I just keep track of the time I spend working on it (either here at work or at home) and poof! I get paid. Fun :)

Lol, and here I always thought people worked 8 hours a day 5 days a week (this is my first job ever). I always thought that's insane, how can you work like that. I guess work is really "work".

Why not learn VBA or .NET? Or any other number of programs? I learned a lot of what I did much the same way the Kristy did.

Any skill that you can pick up or lean on your own, if it can be translated into being more productive in your company is a good thing.

My 2 cents.

Smitty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinHeads

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back