What makes you answer questions here on MrExcel? [a survey on knowledge sharing]

it kind of like surveying a group of hunters about gun control.
I don't think so. That would be like asking MrExcel answerers about whether Excel is any good.

Here the question is "What makes you answer questions here on MrExcel?" This is like asking hunters about why they hunt.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I don't think so. That would be like asking MrExcel answerers about whether Excel is any good.

Here the question is "What makes you answer questions here on MrExcel?" This is like asking hunters about why they hunt.
Exactly. It is important to understand what the focus or goal of the survey is.
You can think if it almost like a "Customer Satisfaction Survey". Obviously, those are only sent to Customers!

I work for a large employer and we often get students contacting us trying to promote surveys. Unless there's some kind of financial reward people often just can't be bothered to answer more than a couple of questions.

Dom
I was thinking about that, but came to the conclusion that it wasn't quite feasible for all the international people. Basically everyone but me, not even sure how it could be done or if there are legal aspects.
I *was* thinking having a raffle for some MrExcel books or something among participants. I was kinda saving that idea for enticing the regular users and hoping that the people already spending so much their time here would lend me some of theirs anyway.

Thank you Peter, that's a very good analogy. I was struggling with coming up with a good one. I felt the hunters-gun control was maybe a bit more black/white than this. diddi has a point and we discussed this privately while I was creating the survey (he has been helping me brainstorm about this for a long time, since I first happened to mention I wanted to do something like this, he's not just complaining out of the blue) that the respondents are clearly a very select group, thought in my defense I'm not doing the selection as such. but there's clearly a selection bias among respondents, it may not be that critical however as I'm targeting the most active users hoping then that they are also most likely to see this.
This is something that I will be trying to address in the subsequent article. It won't invalidate the line inquiry but it is something that needs to be considered.

The main focus of interest for me is just that, what makes people answer questions. E.g. the last few questions are very broad and general, and one could say not necessary as such. But it allows for mapping the underlying factors to the more general behavior, ostensibly at least.

Of course the questionnaire here is slightly overkill, but I'm struggling with requirements and what I can realistically do as PhD-student with no budget and a big fat deadline approaching. If only it was the other way around. I had the idea of splitting up the questionnaire in two parts, but I decided that getting one survey posted up was about what I could be expecting so I had to make this count. One fact of life when researching is that you have to compromise a bit (especially when your are not The Person, when asking your golf-buddies is ample empirical experience), not to mention the rather paradoxical situation where normally more is always asked by reviewers but the page-count of the paper is already used up. So eg taking an existing model and adapting that is more likely to be accepted than trying to create something from scratch and allows more exploration of results rather than motivating the model itself. The second approach was something I did not have the luxury to do anymore at this point.

This is something of a learning experience for me too.

Last edited:
Wasko and Faraj 2001

"Another limitation of this study is its
focus on active participants. We did not investigate
individuals who read but do not post, or
members who do not log onto the electronic network
of practice at all. Why individuals choose to
participate in an electronic network of practice or
online group is another area for future research."

is your instrument developed from Wasko? seems to match the 7 areas she discusses

@petersss
the issue is not that of surveying excel users about excel, it is that the people who *choose* to complete the survey are a particular subset of mrexcel users. this is what causes the potential skew in these data Henri collects.

the issue is not that of surveying excel users about excel, it is that the people who *choose* to complete the survey are a particular subset of mrexcel users. this is what causes the potential skew in these data Henri collects.
Can't that really be said about any kind of survery? Certain people "choose" to answer it, others don't. Not much you can do about that (well, at least not legally in most parts of the world...).

in many surveys where people have a choice of whether to respond, one gets a cross section of responents anyway. eg a political voting survey. people may or may not choose to take survey, but of those who say the will, some will have no intrest in politics and respond accordingly whilst others with a keen interest will respond differently. what is peculiar in this case is that the survey is about measuring active participation in a forum, and therefore the very nature of the fact that one has to be an active participant to choose to go to the lounge and then complete the survey about being a participant precludes all the inactive participants who only come to leach.

if on the other hand the survey was a popup for all users, then some would dismiss it, others would click 'i hate participating' and others would give their response. in this case the data will exhibit far less skew (or bias). i am not criticising the forum btw,it has been great that you have supported Henri's work. just discussing sampling issues which cause inherent problems in surveys.

just an after thought: i didnt really even realise there was a lounge for years (prolly 500 posts) but was an active participant...

Last edited:
@petersss
the issue is not that of surveying excel users about excel,
I think you are agreeing with me? That was exactly my point. I was likening asking Excel users about Excel to your analogy of asking shooters about gun control.

My analogy relating to this survey was:

i think so :) by this time of night i agree with everyone.

just on the use of the lounge: i joined in May 2004, and my first post in the lounge was Nov 2010.

what is peculiar in this case is that the survey is about measuring active participation in a forum, and therefore the very nature of the fact that one has to be an active participant to choose to go to the lounge and then complete the survey about being a participant precludes all the inactive participants who only come to leach.
Since his focus is on why people answer questions here on MrExcel, precluding ones who are just looking for answers and don't answer questions seems OK, since they are not the ones answering anyway! So I don't think it is as skewed as you think. It is important to remember what his goal and target audience is here.

It is definitely going to get more attention from the regulars who have been here a while, but I think that is really his target audience anyway.

To me, a lot of surveys are really just used to try to determine "general trends", and differ from scientific/clinical studies, where you are trying to prove something. The more scientific/clinical ones need better controls to ensure that they are a representative sampling of the population, and to get rid of other factors which may skew the results.

Just my opinion, FWIW. Of course, I am looking at this from a MrExcel perspective; what can this tells us about the general trends of those most active responders.

so what do you envisage mrexcel learning from the survey?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back