What makes you answer questions here on MrExcel? [a survey on knowledge sharing]

snowblizz

Hi,

My name is Henri Korvela (on MrExcel, I'm snowblizz) and I am a PhD student/researcher at the Åbo Akademi University in Turku (Åbo in Swedish), Finland. Some of you know me, most do not, but I’ve been a member for a few years now and am now at a point where I would like the help of the MrExcel community in a matter somewhat related to the Excel. That is helping me answering the question: what makes you answers questions, and what can be done to make this easier for you.
As such, I am mainly aiming the survey towards those who answer questions here on MrExcel, on some kind of regular basis. For short we could say “experts” but that does in no way assume any level of expertise, official or otherwise, nor any particular post count. I myself am at best a moderate level user but would still term myself “expert” in this case on the account of sometimes answering questions on the forum when I can. I have asked the moderators to particularly bring this to the attention of the MrExcel MVPs, but I would encourage anyone who answers questions to respond as well as to spread awareness of the survey to your friends here on MrExcel.

My background for this survey is that I have been researching how end-users could get better support for developing software, e.g. with Excel, by going on-line. A few years ago I was recommended some forums by a reviewer and stumbled upon MrExcel. Since then I have found that a virtual community like MrExcel is and could be a really good way of providing support for a developer, regardless of the level of expertise one has.
Most experienced users are aware of dos and don'ts on-line. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of ways to better reach the experts. I am trying to confirm that empirically.
There are two main goals with the survey, to investigate the knowledge sharing in a virtual community compared to similar studies in other organisations and settings and what impact can someone seeking help have on the process.
The results of the survey will be published in a research outlet and will be part of my (eventual) PhD thesis. I have also promised to give a report to the MrExcel administration. The important thing is that it will all be completely anonymous and no one will be able to identify anyone. So be as frank and honest as you can!
The survey is administered through my university’s on-line survey system and should be reasonably secure for this purpose. All replies are completely anonymous. There will be no follow-up or reminders sent and I will not contact anyone further, unless you want me to (PM me on the forums). If there are any questions please post them or PM me, I can also be reached by e-mail, just replace the _dot_s and _at_ with a dot and at sign, you know the drill I’m sure: Henri_dot_Korvela_at_abo_dot_fi
The survey contains the following sections:

• Demographic information
  • Questions on your Forum reading habits
  • Questions regarding your Perception of the community
  • Questions regarding your Knowledge management activities
  • Questions regarding the Influence of thread topic, contents and poster's actions on your participation in the community and helping process.
  • Questions regarding your Self-efficacy and expertise
  • Questions regarding Motivations that impact on your decision to participate.
  • Questions regarding Attitude, Intention and subjective norms to share knowledge
This is a somewhat long survey, and should take about 30-45 minutes to complete.
It is possible to save a partial survey and continue filling it out later. Scroll to the bottom of the survey and click the checkbox, provide an e-mail address and click "save". The system will send you a link that will allow you to access the saved incomplete survey. Please remember to save the incomplete survey when you have filled it out so it registers as completed. I will not be able to remind or prompt people to do this so it is important you remember to do it yourself.
The survey will be open until the end of the year, but please respond and complete a survey before the end of November as that will give me time to analyse the responses.
Unfortunately I can not provide any compensation for participation, but I hope the MrExcel community would extend the helpfulness I’ve found so far to also answering my survey. You will be helping in furthering my research and maybe make the world just a tiny bit better. I would like to thank everyone who participates in advance.

Take the survey now!

Kind regards,
Henri Korvela (aka snowblizz)
Ph.D. student at Åbo Akademi University.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
This has been approved by the MrExcel team, and we would encourage your participation!
I believe that Henri said the survey will probably be open until the end of the year (December 31).

Henri also has generously offered to share the results of the survery with the MrExcel team, so hopefully the feedback will be beneficial in trying to improve our members' experiences here.

Last edited:
Took the survey.

It took me about 45 mins to complete.

There was one question that I did not understand.

In the Knowledge Management section, the question:

I use the function to subscribe to threads to keep track of my knowledge.
What function is that referring to? Not sure what that means!

Not knowing what it meant I chose the "neutral" answer.

When you start or reply to a thread you are automatically subscribed and receive e-mail notifications. You can also subscribe to any thread by clicking on Thread Tools near the top of the page when you are viewing the thread.

When you start or reply to a thread you are automatically subscribed and receive e-mail notifications. You can also subscribe to any thread by clicking on Thread Tools near the top of the page when you are viewing the thread.
If that's what it refers to then I would have phrased the statement differently.

Or, maybe I'm just a dunce! :)

When you start or reply to a thread you are automatically subscribed and receive e-mail notifications.
Just for the record, that is the default setting but there other settings, including not subscribing at all. A number of our more prolific posters do not use the default (in relation to the e-mail notification at least), though I certainly don't know of any who choose "Do not subscribe".

Just for the record, that is the default setting but there other settings, including not subscribing at all. A number of our more prolific posters do not use the default (in relation to the e-mail notification at least), though I certainly don't know of any who choose "Do not subscribe".
Don't want to take the thread off topic but...

You're quite right.

I do subscribe to threads. This makes it easy to watch threads that may need follow-ups.

Also, I have disabled the email notification. I guess I would be one of those prolific posters and the last thing I need is more email! :eeek:

Too long. I got bored after about 10 mins and gave up.

Dom

If that's what it refers to then I would have phrased the statement differently.

Or, maybe I'm just a dunce! :)
No I think it may very well be phrased badly. I've tried to make it clear, but I can only do it in my own words, and no one who's read through it has so far said anything. If I do something similar in the future I'll think about it.
I'd change it, but I'm not sure that's a good idea since it's "started".

Dom
That's an unfortunate issue I've tried to reconcile with. If I make the survey short enough it won't give me the information I need, if I include all the questions it becomes too long. At the end of the day I decided fewer extensive answers was preferable to more but shorter. Quality over quantity really.
Thanks for trying though.
Would help me greatly to get as many answers as possible, though even a little data is better than no data.
Maybe you can do it in 10 minute intervals or do one section at a time?

11 replies so far, 3 incomplete. Go go MrExcel forums!

Last edited:

Dom

dude you can save your answers and come back to it later. I did it in intervals... now go back and do it properly else I'll give you one of 'em blue monikers beneath your username :diablo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back