What is the Temperature of Ice-Water.

Atroxell

I think that was sort of what I was wondering - there isn't just 1 type of 'ice' there's apparently about 15+.

They all have different characteristics, though probably nothing you would notice 9or be bothered about?) outside of a scientific environment.:)

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Atroxell,

I don't know why I ponder such things as a cup of ice water. I have asked a few friends and family over time, and I always get mixed answers about the temp. Always near the freezing point, 'just below like 31f', 'just above' ranging from 33f to 37f. Some share my perspective.

Water both freezes and melts at 32f or 0c. I think one is absorbing heat and the other way is transfering heat. Until the heat (energy) overcomes one or the other, the temp will stay at a constant 32f... So my hypothesis is that ice and water mixed togather should be 32farenheit.

I found this link below and the horse of a different color is that boiling water is 212f...and remains that temp... Similar to the topic yet on a tangent.

Check this out.
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 230pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=307><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 230pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 11227" width=307><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c2d69a; WIDTH: 230pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 height=20 width=307>Here is a link to time-temp study</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Water, when in the process of becoming a solid, or in the process of becoming a liquid, is 32°F (0°C). The process it is going through at this point is a transition phase. It takes a LOT of energy to complete this phase, which is why it takes so long. The energy used to accomplish this task is known as the "latent heat of fusion". Which, under STP (standard temperature and pressure), is 333 J/g.

Here is a graph which depicts this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/phase.html

However, when you say "a glass of ice-water", then you have other factors that come into play. The ambient heat around the glass affects the temperature. Outer layers of molecules will be warmer than 32°F (0°C), and inner layers will maintain the 32°F (0°C) temperature. Also, as indicated earlier, how well "mixed" it is also affects it. It will not churn itself (like a pot of boiling water does), so if it is under a consistent stir with a rod that maintains a consistent temperature of the solution it is in, then the ice-water combination should, and will, maintain a consistent 32°F (0°C) until it either becomes frozen, at which point it will become colder, or until it becomes all liquid, at which point it will become warmer. Although one could argue that the process of stirring creates friction, which increases temperature. :biggrin:

So, for my purposes, it is probably safe for me to say that the ice-water is approximately 35 degrees.

The ice in the glass is 0 degrees, or it would be liquid.

And the environment outside the glass could be 7, 70 or 700 degrees, which would make the water/ice react differently. If the temperature outside the glass should dip below 32 degrees F, then the water would (eventually) transition to solid form.

So the final determining factors to the temperature of a mixture of ice and water would be:
1) the ambient temperature of the environment around the container, and
2) the volume of the ice and water (which might influence how long it would take for the ice or water to transition between states, whether water to ice or ice to water), and
3) at what point in time you measure the temperature.

And there might be something to add with respect to the material of the container--I would think that it makes a difference whether it's a glass material of a styrofoam cup.

I think this discussion could go on almost forever unless someone specifically chooses the precise circumstances under which the ice water exists.

@MrKows
the friction of agitation only contributes to the temperature after the phase change. prior to that it merely accelerates the transition.

@Atroxell
1) ambient temp only affects RATE of change of ice-water not the temp of the mix
2) volume is irrelevant (except if it is so small that the warm thermometer actually melts all the ice
3) if the mix is agitated, then the time is irrelevant also

the issue for you is that 'in the field' you need to be very specific about where in the mix the thermometer is positioned. as i stated in an earlier post, the mix is awash with temp gradients. so chucking a few cubes in a cup and filling it with water and waiting 5 mins then dropping the thermometer into the bottom will undoubtedly give a high reading, similarly if its all ice and not much water, and the thermometer is in direct contact with a cube, then the result will read low. the experimental conditions dictate that
a) the mixture is agitated
b) the temp is measured in close proximity to the ice but not touching it.

under experimental (lab) conditions, the temp will be 32F 0c

oh BTW, you can have water (liquid) ot 32F and also ice at 32F. 32F is the point at which it CHANGES either way to the other state.

I agree with the 32 degrees remark above, but if it is indoors at my house it will steady go up from there.

If ice water is 32 degrees once at the momentary desired equilibrium, what temperature would the same glass of Gin and ice be at the same momentary equilibrium?

(I did not say scotch, as I did not wish to offend any true whisky drinkers.)

A glass of gin and ice does not last long enough in my presence for me to measure its temperature :)

and i find a complete loss of equilibrium when gin is involved, particularly if the experiment is repeated several times.

The experiment must, however, be repeated so that we can determine if there is a range of temperatures or continued loss of equilibrium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saviour198

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back