What are your favorite keyboard short cuts?

Basically, it's a matter of personal preference whether to use keyboard shortcuts or mouse clicks
Absolutely ;)
For anyone really interested in expanding their use of keyboard shortcuts, I think their time would be more efficiently spent by looking up the list of keyboard shortcuts in the help file, rather than wading through this thread
LOL :lol:
I guess this discussion amongst people who are profecient with computers and not the no-vice users. I bet, 95% of the users who use computers daily for 6 hours on an average would say Keyboard offers much better comfort & speed in comparison to using a mouse. The scrolling while operating a mouse itself makes me sick and perhaps others too, I reckon !
I think you meant to write is "often".
Naah.. "always" as I meant it with users like us. Things would be according to your viewpoint if our grandpa uses the computer :-D

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Yes, but pressing F2 versus clicking the formula bar does not amount to an awesome shortcut in my opinion.

I meant that the process in total is awesome, not just hitting the F2 key vs. clicking in the formula bar.

I have never seen that before and some of my models have upwards of 50 formulas that are used in spreadsheets that I create in the spreadsheet and then move entirely to a VBA module to execute and then copy and paste as values and the user can't delete by mistake if left in the spreadsheet. It really cuts down on the copy and pasting I was doing and then typing in the extra ""s for text.

tbeards

Whenever any kind of VBA code is required, the first thing that should always spring to mind is "Macro Recorder".

SyneyGeek's suggestion in total was merely to use the macro recorder to get the correct syntax for the formulas.

( I recall being awestruck the first time I entered a SUM formula on a worksheet. :eeek: )

Whenever any kind of VBA code is required, the first thing that should always spring to mind is "Macro Recorder".
that's a pretty sweeping generalisation. ;)

Interesting. I am sorry, Denis but I second that argument because that is a valid point evaluated by her :biggrin:

@Boller
I had an excellent time reading all the discussion and I bet they are to the point and very much concrete ! Albeit, (this is what I feel) handling of a mouse is rather time consuming, be it a click or scroll and keyboard will always win when it comes to speed :-D Moreover, the title of this thread signifies about your keyboard shortcuts so I guess its time for a hot coffee ;-)

Depends how many columns in the table.
Ctrl *
Shift Left Arrow
Shift Down arrow
Alt =

And you have column and row totals in a couple of seconds. Fill down is quick and accurate (double-click the fill handle) but filling across is neither for wide tables.

Denis

I would like to mention a seemingly undocumented feature in Excel 2003: you can copy a selection "as a picture" by holding down the shift key while clicking on the Edit menu item.
You will then see a choice to "Copy Picture...", right below the Cut option in the dropdown menu list. This can be advantageous whenever, say, you are pasting into a Powerpoint slide and some of your pasted object is cut off (all to frequent an occurrence!).

I would like to mention a seemingly undocumented feature in Excel 2003: you can copy a selection "as a picture" by holding down the shift key while clicking on the Edit menu item.
You will then see a choice to "Copy Picture...", right below the Cut option in the dropdown menu list. This can be advantageous whenever, say, you are pasting into a Powerpoint slide and some of your pasted object is cut off (all to frequent an occurrence!).

Have to be careful with that one though. There's nothing worse than receiving an email with a pasted spreadsheet that you cannot copy and paste into Excel because it's just an image!!!

True, but if you are pasting into a Word report and you want to keep the Excel formatting, it's the way to go.
I know you can link but once there are more than a few links, especially if the Excel workbook is large, you can end up with a huge and unresponsive Word doc. May be counter intuitive but the pasted images can result in a much smaller file.

Denis

True, but if you are pasting into a Word report and you want to keep the Excel formatting, it's the way to go.
Denis

Actually, I tend to "abuse" excel as a graphics programm for constructing banners. Copy as Picture to Paint and save - done. Big advantage here for me: I can only have the Windows and Office basics programs on this machine. IT won't buy a proper graphics programm for me - "no justifiable business case" is their argument. Excel allows me to produce banners exactly to width and height, easily add text and graphics, change background colours, add frames and so on. Copy as picture is a godsend for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back