VBA to Identify Webpart. Need IE HTML Expert.

Barklie

Board Regular
Hello,

I am trying to scrape data from a web query using VBA. The problem I have run into is that I can't find a way to copy the data I actually want. I have tried everything I could find on the forums (document.body document.innertext, document.outerHTML, etc.), but nothing is capturing the data I'm after. Below is my code as well as a screenshot of the data I would like to copy. I only want the first result in the query, but I am happy with pulling extraneous information (the whole page and all the results if necessary) as long as the data I want is included. I have tried to read through the HTML to find the location, but at this point I think it will take someone more talented with reading HTML than me.

Code:
Sub QueryScrape()

'Dimensions IE
Dim IE As Object

'Starts loop
Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
For i = 2 To 500
    strLink = "http://209.183.255.146/arcgis/rest/services/Solar/Buildings/MapServer/find?searchText=" & i - 1 & "&contains=false&searchFields=&sr=&layers=0&layerDefs=&returnGeometry=true&maxAllowableOffset=&geometryPrecision=&dynamicLayers=&returnZ=true&returnM=true&gdbVersion=&f=html"

'Opens IE
With IE
    .Visible = True
    .Navigate strLink
Do While IE.ReadyState <> 4
            DoEvents
Loop

'Moves data to worksheet
'Range ("A" & i) = WHERE I NEED A WAY TO REFERENCE THE DATA

'Closes IE
IE.Quit

End With

'Separates data into columns
'This is code I will write to separate the data from column A into columns A through L

Next i

End Sub

Data%20Screenshot_zpsaed8xeqw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi Norie,

Thank you so much for you help. I've written the final program. It works perfectly when I step through it, but when I try to run it, it gives me either an Object Required or a Subscript Out of Ranger Error. Any idea why this might be?

Code:
Sub NSM_Scraper()

'Dimensions IE
Dim IE As Object
Dim I As Long
Dim strLInk As String

'Starts loop
    For I = 2 To 10
        strLInk = "http://209.183.255.146/arcgis/rest/services/Solar/Buildings/MapServer/find?searchText=" & I - 1 & "&contains=false&searchFields=&sr=&layers=0&layerDefs=&returnGeometry=true&maxAllowableOffset=&geometryPrecision=&dynamicLayers=&returnZ=true&returnM=true&gdbVersion=&f=html"

'Opens IE
        With IE
            .Visible = True
            .Navigate strLInk
                DoEvents
            Loop

'Moves data to worksheet
            QueryResult = Split(IE.document.body.innerhtml, "OBJECTID: </i> ")(1)

End With

'Separates data into columns
Range("A" & I) = Left(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("<br>", QueryResult) - 1)
Range("B" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape", QueryResult) + 12, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Address", QueryResult) - 20 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape", QueryResult))
Range("C" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Address", QueryResult) + 14, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Area", QueryResult) - 22 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Address", QueryResult))
Range("D" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Area", QueryResult) + 11, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("UsblArea", QueryResult) - 19 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Area", QueryResult))
Range("E" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("UsblArea", QueryResult) + 15, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("kWh", QueryResult) - 23 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("UsblArea", QueryResult))
Range("F" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("kWh", QueryResult) + 10, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("PctArea", QueryResult) - 18 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("kWh", QueryResult))
Range("G" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("PctArea", QueryResult) + 14, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("SysSize", QueryResult) - 22 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("PctArea", QueryResult))
Range("H" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("SysSize", QueryResult) + 14, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Savings", QueryResult) - 22 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("SysSize", QueryResult))
Range("I" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Savings", QueryResult) + 14, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape_Length", QueryResult) - 22 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Savings", QueryResult))
Range("J" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape_Length", QueryResult) + 19, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape_Area", QueryResult) - 27 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape_Length", QueryResult))
Range("K" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape_Area", QueryResult) + 17, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("<i>Polygon", QueryResult) - 22 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("Shape_Area", QueryResult))
Range("L" & I) = Mid(QueryResult, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("<i>Polygon", QueryResult) + 20, Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("]", QueryResult) - 19 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Find("<i>Polygon", QueryResult))

Next I

End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
This should get you further along.
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub QueryScrape()

'Dimensions IE
Dim IE As Object
Dim I As Long
Dim strLInk As String

'Starts loop
    For I = 2 To 3
        strLInk = "http://209.183.255.146/arcgis/rest/services/Solar/Buildings/MapServer/find?searchText=" & I - 1 & "&contains=false&searchFields=&sr=&layers=0&layerDefs=&returnGeometry=true&maxAllowableOffset=&geometryPrecision=&dynamicLayers=&returnZ=true&returnM=true&gdbVersion=&f=html"

'Opens IE
        With IE
            .Visible = True
            .Navigate strLInk
                DoEvents
            Loop

'Moves data to worksheet
            Range("A" & I) = Split(Split(IE.document.body.outertext, "results")(1), "OBJECTID")(1)

End With

Next I

End Sub

By the way, VBA has it's own set of text functions, specifically it has InStr to find the position of a substring in a string, so you don't need to use Application.Find.

Also, there's Data>Text to Columns and Split.

You can use the latter with a delimiter of Chr(10) to split the data out into seperate lines and then use the former to split the data from field names.

Don't have time right now to post any code for that but I'll have another look tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back