Using VBA to link 2 identical workbooks

EvilUeki

Basically, I have 2 identical workbooks with multiple sheets. (WorkbookA.xls and WorkbookB.xls) For each sheets there are some cells that are colored yellow within the same range (lets say A1:AA1000).

I would like to loop through every sheet in WorkbookA.xls and select all yellow colored cells, then make the formula for every yellow cells in WorkbookA.xls to be equal to the exact same cell in WorkbookB.xls ( so for example: WorkbookA.xls, sheet1, Cell A2, which is a yellow cell, the formula for it would be =[WorkbookB.xls]sheet1!A2 )

Any good suggestions on how to solve this?
Appreciate any help, thanks.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
how is this?
Code:
Sub maybe()

Const sOTHER_WBK_NAME As String = "WorkbookB.xls"
    Const sCHANGING_WBK_NAME As String = "WorkbookA.xls"

Dim rng As Excel.Range
    Dim wksLoop As Excel.Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = vbYellow
    For Each wksLoop In Workbooks(sCHANGING_WBK_NAME).Worksheets
        wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="*", Replacement:="=SeeIfThisWorks", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True
        wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="", Replacement:="=SeeIfThisWorks", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True
        Do
            Set rng = wksLoop.Cells.Find(What:="=SeeIfThisWorks", LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlWhole)
            If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.FormulaR1C1 = "=[" & sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name & "!RC"
        Loop Until rng Is Nothing
    Next wksLoop
    Set wksLoop = Nothing
End Sub

Upvote 0
a better way,
Code:
Sub better()

Const sOTHER_WBK_NAME As String = "WorkbookB.xls"
    Const sCHANGING_WBK_NAME As String = "WorkbookA.xls"

Dim lStyleBefore As Long

lStyleBefore = Application.ReferenceStyle
    Application.ReferenceStyle = xlR1C1
    Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = vbYellow
        wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="*", Replacement:="=[" & sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name & "!RC", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True
        wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="", Replacement:="=[" & sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name & "!RC", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True
    Next wksLoop
    Set wksLoop = Nothing
    Application.ReferenceStyle = lStyleBefore
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for your idea!

I now have below code, but it runs into subscript out of range error when it gets to the line higligted red below....

Code:
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Sub RepalceYellowCells()[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]ConstsOTHER_WBK_NAME As String = "Book2.xls"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]ConstsCHANGING_WBK_NAME As String = "Book1.xls"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Dim lStyleBeforeAs Long[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Dim wksLoop AsExcel.Worksheet[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]lStyleBefore =Application.ReferenceStyle[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Application.ReferenceStyle = xlR1C1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Application.ScreenUpdating = False[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 204)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]  [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=3]  [/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=3]For Each wksLoopIn Workbooks(sCHANGING_WBK_NAME).Worksheets[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]       [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="*", Replacement:="=["& sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name &"!RC", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]       [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="", Replacement:="=["& sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name &"!RC", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Next wksLoop[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Set wksLoop = Nothing[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Application.ReferenceStyle = lStyleBefore[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]End Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
can you modify to suit your requirements? the basic code is fine, I think, just change it to suit your set up. And best to add your own error checking/handling

to help more I'd need to understand how you want the code to specifically work for your situation.
where is the code? what files are open?
how do you want it to work - wrt to where the file is located & which files are open

Upvote 0
PS
Some code details don't work in all versions.
Just in case it is an issue, the Excel version being used should be advised

Upvote 0
I changed the file name and colour code in the above code.

Let's say I want to run on book1 and book2. I ran the code with both files opened and all sheets unprotected

I would like the code to run starting from sheet1, loop through all worksheets within the range of (A1:AA1000)

But when I ran the code, it ran into subscript out of range error in sheet1.

Upvote 0
Just ran the code and it kinda works now. But 2 areas I would like to address:

1. the code did not loop to the 2nd sheet onwards
2. the code is successful in replicating the values of yellow cells in Book2 to Book1, but only as value.
What I really want is, to be able to have the yellow cells in Book1 to link to the identical yellow cells in Book2 using formula (e.g. the value of Book1, sheet 1, Cell B12 to be a formula
'=[Book2.xlsx]Sheet1!$B$12

below is my current code:

Code:
Sub RepalceYellowCells()

Const sOTHER_WBK_NAME As String = "Book2.xlsx"
    Const sCHANGING_WBK_NAME As String = "Book1.xlsx"

Dim lStyleBefore As Long

lStyleBefore = Application.ReferenceStyle
    Application.ReferenceStyle = xlR1C1
    Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 204)
        wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="*", Replacement:="=[" & sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name & "!RC", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True
        wksLoop.Cells.Replace What:="", Replacement:="=[" & sOTHER_WBK_NAME & "]" & wksLoop.Name & "!RC", LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchFormat:=True
    Next wksLoop
    Set wksLoop = Nothing
    Application.ReferenceStyle = lStyleBefore
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back