Users

Can't live with 'em; can't bludgeon 'em to death, cut their bodies into small pieces and bury 'em under wasteland.

When I quit being a cowboy, and went into the coat and tie world I was on an interview and had a VP of Operations ask me how I thought I could transition from managing cows to people. I told him: "Management's easy, it's just the product that's different. With cows you make them go where you want by making them think that's where they want to go, and you can do the same with people". He asked what you do if you have problems with that in ranching and I said "you shoot them, and eat them."

I got the job.

Edit - FUBAR: should have been "that's where they want to go", not "that's where you want to go"

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
When I quit being a cowboy, and went into the coat and tie world I was on an interview and had a VP of Operations ask me how I thought I could transition from managing cows to people. I told him: "Management's easy, it's just the product that's different. With cows you make them go where you want by making them think that's where you want to go, and you can do the same with people". He asked what you do if you have problems with that in ranching and I said "you shoot them, and eat them."

I got the job.
:laugh::rofl:

Yeah, me too sometimes. I even wrote a bit of code which takes a series of formulae in multiple columns and combines them into a single huge formula!

I reckon that's okay though, as long as you don't destroy all traces of the individual formulae just in case you need to tinker with them in the future.

Although I usually do... :)

I usually try to avoid massive formulas. If a formula gets too big, I like to convert it to a UDF where I can document it and follow its flow a bit easier.

I usually try to avoid massive formulas. If a formula gets too big, I like to convert it to a UDF where I can document it and follow its flow a bit easier.

Agree with this. I think it is a terrible failing of excel to actually allow users to construct these horrible convoluted behemouths of formulae in the first place. wouldn't it be great if you could apply a subroutine to a cell directly? much easier to debug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back