Users

i have a project where several users enter info onto a form which ensures that each section is completed correctly, but the boss who has no IT idea demands a tool without validation for himself to be able to 'edit' the data. so when it falls over i check and find a date field with "not needed" in it or something equally dumb. needless to say the other users dont have any problems. lol

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hmm, didn't know we had the same boss !!!
Nice and cool here P.....minus 5 this morning !!

My personal favourites are:

I open a spreadsheet someone who is an "excel consultant" has created only to be greeted with a wall of bright red cells which cause my eyes to bleed.

Also, in said spreadsheet, there are 255 columns and 60k rows all with duplicate information and about 6 billion vlookups. This "Expert" is paid more per day than I get in a month... I managed to get the spreadsheet down to about 20 columns in the end.

Someone typing in numbers then getting out a calculator to sum them up.

People insisting on using +=A1+B1 on EVERYTHING (my Father is the major culprit).

Users asking why =A1+B1 won't work when one of the cell values is "TAX @ 20%"

Users creating a mammoth nested if/and/or formula when a simple SUMIF will suffice.

There's hundreds more..

My pet hate is probably that mahoosive long formula which the user ends up not being able to understand or even modify without causing a syntax error, because he insists on shoehorning it into a single cell when the sheet still has 16,370 empty columns to the left which he could use to break the formula down into three or four much simpler chunks.

The only thing worse than users is consultants. :biggrin:
I'm sure there are exceptions (e.g. all of you who do that consulting thing) , but every one that I have come across at work has been useless, or worse.

Actually, I take that back - trainers can be worse than both. (not Bill, obviously)

I'm generally my only user, and I still get annoyed by the things I do. ;)

Users; can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Can't live with 'em; can't bludgeon 'em to death, cut their bodies into small pieces and bury 'em under wasteland.

We had a consultant that named his files "Book1, Book2, Book3, etc"
Really?? :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back