USA version S/W ok in the UK?

atmospheric

OK guys, I'm taking a trip to Vegas in August (and coming back RICH :-P ).

I figure I might as well spend some of the Yankee Dollars I win on Office 2007, 'cos it's half the price over there. Am I likely to be faced with any compatibility issues, like £ or Euro's for example?

And what about Vista?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I would think they will work exactly the same - no doubt within Vista there will be a Regional Settings feature similar to the one in XP. Of course, I'm sure you'll be declaring your purchases to customs on your return so that you can pay the required duty and VAT? ;-)

That's made me think now (quite an achievement for this time of the morning).

How does the tax thing work with digital products?

I mean, if I purchase and download from a US site should I, technically speaking, then go and pay UK tax on that? Or would that only apply if I had a physical product shipped or carried it through customs myself?

And if it doesn't apply if there's no physical product would you then be able to purchase just a license key, assuming you could get a copy of the disc from somewhere else, and have that emailed to you and legally use that copy?

Maybe I should just go and read the terms and conditions that I freely tick box to accept without ever paying a blind bit of attention to.

Nick

Nick

It applies to downloads as much as physical products, at least as far as I am aware. The chances of you ever being caught out should you not voluntarily pay the taxes on a download? Currently zero, or as close to it as you can get...

Bah, they tax us enough as it is!

Income Tax 22% (40% if you're "lucky")
National Insurance 12%
VAT on just about everything 17.5%
Additional Tax on Tobacco, Car Fuel and Alcohol
Road Tax
Council Tax
Insurance, Gas, Electricity, Coal, Airport, TV Taxes
Stamp Duty
(I'm sure there's a lot I've missed)
You save frantically for your pension, so they Tax that.

So, you manage to save £1000. You pay a workman. Then they take it off him as well. Every £ issued by the Bank of England eventually filters back to the Taxman.

Then you've the audacity to die! Inheritance Tax!

Yes Richard, I'll be going through the Red Gate at Customs when I get back. :twisted:

Sorry, rant over!

What in the world is a TV tax? They tax you to watch television?

Then you've the audacity to die! Inheritance Tax!

There's money left over after that?

What in the world is a TV tax? They tax you to watch television?

Scott, yup: in the UK, each household must buy a television licence (a year's licence costs about £130 or US$200) which funds the BBC. The only TVs that don't require a licence are those with their own internal power supplies (ie batteries) - at least I think that's what the definition is.

(a year's licence costs about £130 or US$200) which funds the BBC.

Isn't that what commercials are for, or do you not have any (in that case that might be a decent trade off), how many channels do you get for your $200?

No, there are no commercials on the BBC, (although we get other channels which do have ads) and for your £135 the BBC gives you 8 channels, some of which you can't receive without satellite or digital

...still if you only have a black and white TV (is there anyone left?) you only pay £45.50 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back