Training advice

I would say that is all gonna depend on what you are doing most frequently. But take a look at what gets you the most bang for the buck and start there.

Which do you need most?
  • Do you need to be able to perform a variety of logical or arithmatic actions on a wide variety of cell layouts and linkages? The go for formulas.
  • Or do you more freqently find yourself summarizing data sets/extracts? Total sales by _____ (region/salesperson/product/whatever) for example. If so, start with pivots and data linkages/queries.
  • Or are you spending hours each month doing repetitive tasks? Filter for condition A and B and copy to another worksheet and e-mail to all managers for example. Then VBA would be where to start.
Every padawan's path is different; but to be a true Excel Jedi, you need all three.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Excellent input Greg.

A co-worker and I developed a set of very useful Pivot Tables that have reduced the number of errors in workbook calculations. Once we did this, the old adage kicked-in; the more I know, the more I need to know. It's clear that my skill needs to improve in all areas and I was looking for the most sensible progression. Thanks for the excellent input. Tags to follow in future posts.

Hi to all,

I was on Mac for many years until circumstances required joining the world of windows. To start, what worked for me was purchasing the Thomson Course Technology New Perspectives coursecard editions in Excel (and Access). It's expensive, about $80, but i think worth the price.

For advanced processes, I found www.meadinkent.co.uk to be excellent. The advanced Excel course is $10 to download and has numerous spreadsheets and explanations of VLookup, Isna, match, sumproduct, arrays, etc.

Finding projects, making up my own for interesting situations and working with Excel gurus has been and continues to be most helplful, as well as assembling spreadsheets, code and examples into reference binders.

The Mr. Excel site is interesting, challenging and helpful. Thanks, Bill, and everyone.

Randa

Just wanted to trow my two cents into this, even though alot of good points have already been said.

When I joined this board 3 years ago, I just barely learned where the Power button was on the computer, being that I was a blue collar, out in the field, kind of guy for most of my life.

Being that I was getting up there in age and was offered an office job from management, I was forced to learn an entirely different job instead of being Unemployed.

Since our company uses Excel quite extensively and a former employee had wrote numerous VBA procedures, this is what I keyed on.

As said by others:
I have never taken an Excel course either. I have, in fact, never read a book on Excel. All I know about Excel I learned through my ignorance and asking questions and studying other post on this board.
Actually I did buy Prower Programming 2003 from JW....read though it once, but learned more Here.

I've learned pretty much all I know through trial and (quite a bit of) error and reading/contributing to this board.
Always errors...may take me a week to write a VBA Project that an MVP would take an hour.

Everything I know about Excel and VBA I have learned from people at work, this board, and generally playing with it.
Like many people here, I'm the Excel whizz-kid in my office - although nowhere near the level of the top guys.

My biggest problem is as lenze has put it in the past "having a senior momment" 'I can't remember' where I have done "this procedure" before. This prevents me from posting solutions to threads because by the time I remember, sombody else has already posted.

I have found that using the Help files, visiting other Forums, using Search on this forum and others, and just thinking on what you want to accomplish has helped me tremendiously.

And one other tip that has not been mentioned.

Create a "VBA Library" folder of code that you use or have gathered from this forum, or others that you might think will help you in the future.

I also have kind of, "latched on" to a few MVP's. Meaning that if I see that they have posted a reply to a question, I will check it out because I know I will pick up something that might help me in the future.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Harry. These are all great points. Your suggestions are excellent, not only for this board, but for many aspects of life. I especially like your suggestions for finding mentors (learning from the best) and maintaining a library (to work efficiently and avoid senior moments). Whatever ones age, both are excellent suggestions to someone trying to learn.

When I joined this board 3 years ago, I just barely learned where the Power button was on the computer, being that I was a blue collar, out in the field, kind of guy for most of my life.

Since our company uses Excel quite extensively and a former employee had wrote numerous VBA procedures, this is what I keyed on.

Always errors...may take me a week to write a VBA Project that an MVP would take an hour.

My biggest problem is as lenze has put it in the past "having a senior momment" 'I can't remember' where I have done "this procedure" before. This prevents me from posting solutions to threads because by the time I remember, sombody else has already posted.

I have found that using the Help files, visiting other Forums, using Search on this forum and others, and just thinking on what you want to accomplish has helped me tremendiously.

And one other tip that has not been mentioned.

Create a "VBA Library" folder of code that you use or have gathered from this forum, or others that you might think will help you in the future.

I also have kind of, "latched on" to a few MVP's. Meaning that if I see that they have posted a reply to a question, I will check it out because I know I will pick up something that might help me in the future.

Harry

Yes! If a thread title has interest for you and an MrExcel MVP has responded, it is always worth a look!

Excellent post. Keep at it Harry!! I can name you (but I won't) at least 8 MrExcel MVPs (myself included) that came to this board knowing far less than you know,

lenze

I remember when I first found this board a little over 3 years ago I felt pretty happy with myself that I could do (simple) array formulas and could even (just about) modify recorded macro code! Seeing the posts of many of the people on the Board was a real eye opener - and a little over 3 years later I feel incredibly grateful to everyone on the Board for helping me to get a lot better. Reading questions and the associated answers has been fantastic - something I would recommend to every aspiring Excel guru.

:-D

Yup, long 'bout six years ago, I got curious 'bout what that "class module" button in the VBE was for and a co-worker told about this "great online Excel forum".

Well, I was just sure I was real smart feller and thought that I knew just 'bout everything there was to know 'bout spreadsheetin'. Phaw! I got to lookin' at some array formulae by this feller named "Aladin" (he had almost ten thousand posts! Wow!) and some codin' by some chaps named Nate, Juan Pablo, Tushar, Ivan, Yogi, Tom Urtis, TSTom, and others. I moused away feelin' purdy humble that first day.

I took an Excel course hoping that I would learn something. So I signed up for and "advanced" Excel course from the University. I can easily post everything I learned, ready? Ctrl + ":" enters the date into a cell without a formula. And that was it, the only thing I got from the class that I did not already know. I was very disappointed.
Then I came across this place.... I have learned so much, and so far been able to solve almost every problem I have come across. Though I still feel as though I have barely scratched the surface. But I will find out how when I need to know.

I would also echo Harry's comments about the library of info/code/formula applications; you don't have to be that senior to forget stuff.

Last edited:
I was thinking about taking an advanced excel course at one of our local colleges, just to see if I could reduce the professor to tears:-). I eventully figured my companies dollars could be used more effectively elsewhere, and ended up taking VB.net instead. I started using excel about 7 years ago(Wow, seems like yesterday), and didn't have the advantage of an internet connection, so I learned most of what I know using the online help system. I've reviewed a few different training courses available, and it seems "advanced" courses ususally get to the vlookup, maybe array formula's, hopefully sumproduct. The pieces on VBA usually go as far as "Here's how to record a macro", as opposed to actually understanding the excel object.
As far as helping my career, crap, my entire career is pretty well been driven by my skills with excel and automation using advanced vba programming. It's been a fun ride, and I intend to keep on learning:-)

Cal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back