Training advice

I agree with Greg. I have never taken an Excel course either. I have, in fact, never read a book on Excel. All I know about Excel I learned through my ignorance and asking questions and studying other post on this board. I am not the only MrExcel MVP that learned that way.

lenze

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Many thanks to all who replied. Definitely seems as if the incremental real world approach is better than the superficially attractive idea of formal training.

Most of the time, if you know WHAT can be done, even if you don't know HOW, you've got half the battle won.

For many things in many areas, this is probably one of the truest statements you will ever hear. If know that something can be done, then it’s easier to find out how to do it. There are several things (mainly in VBA) that I use on occasion that I never remember how exactly to achieve. I know it can be done because I’ve done it before, so a quick flick through the VBA help files will provide me with the solution because I have an idea of what I’m looking for.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
As far as training is concerned, this would certainly help in knowing that something can be done even if you don’t remember how. But often it’s more about thinking outside the box and applying a particular function/formula to something new. Many different problems can be solved with similar combinations of functions and you will never cover all of those scenarios in training.
<o:p> </o:p>
My advice would be….take a course or get a book if you can do so with little expense (you can sometimes find decent books at the library, for example). But when you learn something new, make sure you take a little time to consider what other things it could be useful for….it’ll pay off when you get lumbered with a complex task that you have never come across in the past.

Most of it's already been said but...

Formulas and pivot tables first, then VBA. Basically because you can be productive out of the box once you understand some functions and particularly how to combine them. VBA is really cool but it can take months to years before you really get proficient -- depends how fast you learn, and how much time you can dedicate to it.

But if you're prepared to learn, this place is as good as any.

Denis

Mr. Excel 2003 example downloads available?

Hi to everyone. I am returning to work and need practice in 2003 pivot charts.
I've downloaded Mr. Excel's 2007 book and the LearnExcel 2003 pivots; however, after searching the site, i can't find downloads of examples for his first book,
Excel 1997-2003.

Question: Does anyone have the link to examples for work in Excel 2003?

Thank you so much,

Randa

Re: Mr. Excel 2003 example downloads available?

Randa,

Bill has a forum here specifically dedicated to questions regarding his books, CD's, etc. You might look through there and see if he has already answered this question. And if he hasn't post your question there. Bill's pretty busy, but I know that he does make time to stop by that specific forum now and again.

Last edited:
Don't know if you saw it, but I edited my post to put in a link to that particular forum.

Most of it's already been said but...

Formulas and pivot tables first, then VBA....

Denis

Thanks for posting the above reply. I was wondering which path to take toward mastering VBA; Formulas first, then VBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back