Spreadsheet styles - which do you prefer?

Which version do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Couldn't agree more, but we need to remember that the style of formatting can be a personal thing. The example given is to highlight the fact the by formatting in certain ways the presentation can be improved and with appropriate use can aid in finding certain types of data quickly.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
OK, there's obviously two important points here.

First of all, the second version clearly shows us that it's possible to change formats, by using styles etc. If you're new to Excel, this could be a revelation for you. I'll need to re-read the accompanying article, but I don't think it claims to be a good format as such, just an illustration of what can be done. As such, criticisms of the format choices made in that version are perhaps a little harsh.

But secondly, the OP in this thread asked simply which do we prefer, and I think the comments about the failings of the second version are entirely valid in that context.

2nd is better, but still pug ugly!! Looks like the sort of report I receive each day from our Munich HQ!

But I do find in my workplace that almost nobody ever uses styles, except my immediate team, who I have made use a book.xlt and sheet.xlt with a variety of custom styles. Any of course they have all added the styles drop down to their toolbar! Makes report appearance consistent and saves time formatting them. Styles rock!!! :biggrin:

I've never used styles. This article does not encourage me to try them! (Your post does though, Jon ;) )

They are both fugly, so I have abstained from the vote!
Number two (aptly named) has the possible benefit of distracting from the actual meaning of the data, which can be useful on occasion... :biggrin:

They are both fugly, so I have abstained from the vote!
Number two (aptly named) has the possible benefit of distracting from the actual meaning of the data, which can be useful on occasion... :biggrin:

I received a spreadsheet last week where the author used number format for all negatives to be red, but then also has a CF that the fill colour would be red if cell value <0. Excellent way of concealing the adverse variances! :rolleyes:

If it doesn't work on a black & white printout you're going to have problems. Also, considering that this advice is coming from an accountancy organisation, the failure to put the units on is a bit of a fundamental error.

Emma, Do you think you should e-mail the bloke who wrote the article and let him know it's being picked apart?

I've never used styles. This article does not encourage me to try them! (Your post does though, Jon )
Styles can be very useful. Especially if you are frequently asked to make cosmetic changes. One quick change to a style and presto-chango, cosmetic change completed.

...fugly...
Genius. :rofl: Where do you come up with these?

I know "ugly" - now I don't know anything about "fugly" ?
Mind you, this is just a guess...copy and paste the following into the immediate window
Code:
s = "" : a = Split("34,102,42,42,42,105,110,103,34,32,43,32,34,117,103,108,121,34,32,61,32,34,102,117,103,108,121,34", ","): For i = LBound(a) To UBound(a) : s = s & Chr(a(i)) : Next i : Debug.Print s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back