Solar panels (UK based)

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. We might moan about the lack of extremes in the UK where we don't have really hot temperatures all year but having both worked in places where the tarmac melts and an ice cream lasts for about 5 seconds before running down your arm I don't miss it that much.

Looking forward to my first bbq of the 'summer' this evening :-)

Dom

As for the original question I was reading an article a while back that seemed to suggest the panel technology had improved and cost fallen enough to make it a viable proposition as long as you don't expect a return on your investment within 15 years.

Dom

How about wind turbines? And are there rules pertaining to wind turbines at ones home?

The concept is so simple that with little effort one could actually build their own wind turbine. I know they can be a little noisy but I wonder why I don't see more of them? Smaller home wind turbines don't need strong winds even, I'd imagine there are plenty breezy enough days around Richards neck of the woods.

If I owned my own place I would definitely have a crack at making my own...

From what I've read, they are surprisingly ineffective in the UK. That's probably a flaw in the design though.

Maybe those giant Siemens ones are inefficient... I'm referring to those smaller home wind turbines. I lived in a village 12 years ago that was heavily dependent on wind turbines. Many home-owners made their own. I don't believe that they are efficient enough as a complete substitute (some people had generators as an addition); but I think they might well be a viable substitute to solar panels...

I'm jealous. Unfortunately not all Northern Californians are lucky enough to be located in a Garden of Eden like Boulder Creek. I used to live down that way (Menlo Park/Palo Alto) and it is gorgeous, especially up in the redwoods. You get your air conditioning from the Pacific Ocean...very nice!

It is nice, except for whatever reason the Valley doesn't get any of that ocean air this time of year so it can cook.

I, on the other hand, live in the part of Northern California that requires one to have air conditioning. The Sacramento Valley often has summertime temps above 100, but usually in the 90s, like today. Although this Summer has been extremely gentle--only about 6 or 8 days over 100. August, usually our hottest month, had no days over 100! That has not happened in 30 years.

It can get real hot in Sac , but we've been much luckier than Texas this year, that's for sure. My folks just moved from Laramie, Wyoming to Mesquite, Nevada and the 120 degree days in August were a bit of a surprise. They said a few weeks ago in Vegas a homeless guy was beaten/robbed, and some folks came to his aid and laid him down on the sidewalk - by the time they got him to the hospital he had third degree burns on his back where he'd been laying on the ground.

My air conditioning usually runs me about $250-300/month. I get a break for a month or so in the Fall, then the heater gets me for about the same. Then I get a month or so in the Spring with no heat or air required and start it all over again.

Our first winter heat bill up here was over $700 (electric baseboard heaters). I haven't turned them on since and only use firewood I cut on our property (several cords a year).

Our PG&E rates are 12.2-34.2 cents/hour, easily 30% higher than they were in San Diego. I'd love to be able to put up solar because we're one of the few homes up here that gets full sun.

the temp hovered in the low teens. We kept the fireplace lit the whole time and enjoyed the winter wonderland.

If you tried to talk outside, the words froze in mid-air, and you had to warm them in a frying pan to hear what you were saying.
Yep, when that happens here in Western/Central New York, it is time to put the light spring jackets away and put on something a little heavier, maybe even wear gloves (except when I am ice fishing - I hardly ever wear gloves doing that, I wouldn't want them to get wet!).

You got me thinking about my electrical costs. In northern Illinois where our claim to fame is that if you are elected governor of our state, you have a two out three chance of going to jail. One is there, one has been paroled and a third is appealing his conviction and is out on bail.

I use about 7000 kwh per year and pay an average all-in $0.135 per Kwh. Lots of taxes and delivery costs versus the actual cost of electricity which is shown as $0.71. Heat and Hot water are gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back