Share your favourite posts

Thanks for the namecheck, Jon....and Richard.

For me there are almost too many favourites to pick from, especially from Aladin, Domenic, Hotpepper and Fairwinds.

I like this non-duplicate random number formula from pgc

and this recent Boller contribution

It's strange to go back and look at things you posted in the past....I think I can improve on that financial year formula, perhaps I'll go back and edit...

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
For me, it's

VLOOKUPNTH (from Peter Moran via Zack) http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=116279

The ancient thread about printing to a PDF (shivers at the thought of having to do that again [pre xl2007]) from SteveF http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=119332

Any of Aladin's posts that involve a 9.99999999999999E+307, a SUBTOTAL within a SUMPRODUCT, or a MATCH(2,1/...) really, any of Aladin's posts in general

Ekim's combination generator here http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=65520

But, my all-time favorite post was Fairwinds' "that's sad". :lol:

Not a favourite thread as such, but just great programming practice (for VBA) is espoused by the Natester in just about every code post he makes:

Using "Let" for scalar variable assignments rather than simply not using it (it's optional unlike "Set" with variable object assignments) eg:

Code:
Dim myLong As Long
Let myLong = 65000

Trivial? Maybe, but when you (or at least when I) start(ed) investigating custom Classes, it just made all the Property Let/Set/Get statements make so much sense.

:-D

I hadn't seen that one before but.....

....to "AND" 2 8-bit binary numbers as required, rather than use

=DEC2BIN(SUMPRODUCT(MID(A1,9-ROW(1:8),1)*MID(A2,9-ROW(1:8),1)*2^(ROW(1:8)-1)),8)

you could use this formula

=TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1+A2,1,0),2,1),"00000000")

Not a favourite thread as such, but just great programming practice (for VBA) is espoused by the Natester in just about every code post he makes:

Using "Let" for scalar variable assignments rather than simply not using it (it's optional unlike "Set" with variable object assignments) eg:

Code:
Dim myLong As Long
Let myLong = 65000
Hey, thanks Richard.

I've had people ask me why I actually use the Let Statement in my procedures and functions.

Bruce McKinney makes my argument, here:

http://vb.mvps.org/hardcore/html/let.htm

Except, unlike Bruce, I happen to like and use this "pedantic nonsense". The few keystrokes required to assign an Intrinsic Data Type for me is worth it. :)

I hadn't seen that one before but.....

....to "AND" 2 8-bit binary numbers as required, rather than use

=DEC2BIN(SUMPRODUCT(MID(A1,9-ROW(1:8),1)*MID(A2,9-ROW(1:8),1)*2^(ROW(1:8)-1)),8)

you could use this formula

=TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1+A2,1,0),2,1),"00000000")

Barry, why do you think your formula is better than mine?

Is it just because it's cleverer, smaller and more efficient? :-D

Barry, why do you think your formula is better than mine?

Is it just because it's cleverer, smaller and more efficient? :-D

Yes 8-)

.....although don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiments expressed by jonmo and Lewiy, the SUMPRODUCT approach particularly comes into its own, I think, for your follow-up to do the binary "AND" directly in decimal....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back