Saturn Sky Red Line

That's too bad. An engine that size is the one that would need DOD the most. I'm becoming very concious about fuel consumption...not only for the $$$, but I guess the media has gotten to me about being more "green". I gotta wonder why it would not have it though.
I agree, I'm not proud of this aspect of the vehicle. The consolation I have is that I'm a very low mileage driver, I'd be lucky to put on 1,000 miles/annum.

I don't think I've seen any of these on the road yet. I've been keeping my eye open. You'd think living in the Detroit area I'd see these one at least once in a while. I want to antagonize one a t a light just to see it gooooooooooooo...... ;)
That's what BMW drivers do!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9957854

BTW, the story that the NateO character in that thread told is completely fictional!

The following might be my favourite thread, though:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818804

M3 < Jeep
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We actually didn't race but these things are awesome. It was an SRT8 Grand Cherokee. He took off from the light and I was heavy into it right behind him, but there was no way I was keeping up with him. He walked on me pretty hard.
Aren't M3s the fast BMWs? :lol: 8-) :wink:

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
The M3s ARE fast...0-60 in 4.69 sec...nothing to sneeze at...and for an owner to say that...? Wow, it is impressive.

One thing about the Jeep SRT8...can't put the top down. :D

I'm going to have to wait a while before any decent mods come out for the Sky R/L. There's stuff now: intercoolers, tunes, exhaust, but I'm not convinced of the claims in gains let alone what the long term affects can be (mostly talking about the tune here.)

Maybe I should get an SRT8 while I wait. :D

I guess I'm a typical Brit that thinks Yank cars are just a little over the top when it somes to size of engines etc

Have been in love with my 1.8 225bhp Audi S3 for a number of years now and just can't get my head around big block American cars. Was on a dual track an A road with a tricked up Mustang the other day at the lights. Bless him he started giving the revs and I just couldn't help myself.

I so thought I would kick *** and then he just slipped passed. Joy upon joy when the first few corners came up and the 4 wheel drive and beauty revving engine just left him for dead as he, fortunately, just couldn;t handle a proper road.

Nice in a straight line but cr@p otherwise!!!!

Well, if you like to drag, then bigger is better. If you like to rally, then small and nimble is the way to go. depends what you want to do. I'd have to wonder how Nate's SRT8 would do around the twisties compared to my Sky, or an S2000, or Miata, etc. (Well, actually, forget I mentioned Miata.)

The M3s ARE fast...0-60 in 4.69 sec...nothing to sneeze at...and for an owner to say that...? Wow, it is impressive.
Note, the OP driving the M3 was driving a '95 M3, which is probably < 2007 M3.

One thing about the Jeep SRT8...can't put the top down. :D
True, but in Minneaplis, this is only 2.5 months of the year. But I do get my sunroof when weather permits...

I'm going to have to wait a while before any decent mods come out for the Sky R/L. There's stuff now: intercoolers, tunes, exhaust, but I'm not convinced of the claims in gains let alone what the long term affects can be (mostly talking about the tune here.)

Maybe I should get an SRT8 while I wait. :D
The SRT8 aftermarket is still pretty limited in terms of tunes or performance enhancing mods. Most people throw theirs on the bottle, which I won't do. Don't feel like melting down my head-gaskets. ;)

I guess I'm a typical Brit that thinks Yank cars are just a little over the top when it somes to size of engines etc
There's more to it than this. Living in Minnesota, I'd be driving an SUV either way, just for my safety. RWD's just are not safe in my opinion with the weather we get here. It's not unusual to drive into work on 5 inches of hard-pack snow or a sheet of ice. And the advantage of sitting up a little higher buys you extra time when highway traffic is moving at irregular speeds, especially when the road conditions are extremely poor.

The beefed up engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc... That's a bonus for me. If you're going to have a 2.5 ton vehicle with the areodynamics of a Walmart, you need to generate a ton of torque and horsepower, or it's all for not.

There's other benefits for me driving an SUV, I'm not the smallest guy on Earth and am more comfortable in a mid-size SUV than I am in a compact car. You'd better understand if you saw my seat position, even in this Jeep, you would not want to be sitting behind me. And this a very flexible year-round car. It's no problem for me to throw my 210 skis in the back and head out to the mountain, or throw my bike in the back and go hit the lakes.

Either way, I'm a 1-car driver with diverse needs and interests and this vehicle allows me approach any such condition in a manner that I prefer and am comfortable with. :)

If you like to rally, then small and nimble is the way to go. depends what you want to do. I'd have to wonder how Nate's SRT8 would do around the twisties compared to my Sky, or an S2000, or Miata, etc. (Well, actually, forget I mentioned Miata.)
The Jeep SRT8 would absolutely annihilate a Miata under any speed competition.

It's not as big of slouch in the twisties as one might think, here's someone who's tried it:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10029968

It feels fairly well planted even in pretty aggressive transitions, esp. for a tall brick. You can see there's surprisingly little body roll.

With stability control disabled, coilovers to lower it and 18" wheels with rcomps it could be an interesting autocross car.
There's some good pictures posted there, too.

Road and Track weighs in, here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=4065&page_number=3

But the biggest difference is felt when you throw the GC SRT8 into a curve. In a typical Jeep, you’d be met with varying degrees of squish; with the SRT8, rock-solid handling. A 1.0-in.-lower ride height, Bilstein dampers, stiffer springs, larger anti-roll bars and 255/45R-20 front tires and 285/40R-20 rears transform the GC SRT8 from ho-hum SUV into sports-car competitor.
The SRT8 has a seriously beefed up handling equipment from a standard JGC.

These guys took on up Pike's peak, which would normally be reserved for a Subaru STI:

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests...grand_cherokee_srt8/mountain_performance.html

The first few corners probed the tires' grip, which turned out to be quite a lot--over 0.80 g on wet pavement. Only after crossing into the dirt did the Jeep really begin its dance with the mountain. The steering was accurate and quick, and the sideways drifts came naturally. I could feel the all-wheel drive shifting power around as the tires hunted for traction. This was unlike any Jeep I'd ever driven--it felt more like a V-8-powered Mitsubishi Evo IX.
And keep in mind that an Evo is well-known for its handling capabilities:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0505scc_mitsubishi_evo_ix/index.html

Looks like they weren't babying it, either:

163_0604_02l+2007_jeep_grand_cherokee_srt8+rear_view.jpg

8-) :lol:

And of course, you don't have to take a Yank's word for it, how about a Brit?

http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/jeep/grand+cherokee/3534/3

But as I turned into the first corner, instead of the lurch, wallow and squeal I'd expected, the SRT-8 simply locked onto its new co-ordinates like an unusually well aimed SAM missile. Moreover, as I nailed the throttle to the floor, the big Jeep not only made a lot of convincing noises - which I had been expecting - it also fled down the straight to the Craner Curves with an alacrity that, frankly, I had not.
{snip}

And as we circulated Donington faster and faster, I was stunned by how well it coped. Unlike other Grand Cherokees, this one feeds 90% of its torque to the rear wheels unless loss of traction calls for redistribution, so most of the time it's effectively rear-wheel drive. Moreover there was grip aplenty from the 245/45 ZR20 tyres and even the brakes - massive Brembo discs - did not tire of this, the toughest track on brakes in all the land. The convincingly scooped sports seats did a fine job of keeping me from landing in my passenger's lap in the corners, and while the five speed auto box was not exactly the most responsive shifter I've tried, having 420lb-ft of torque to play with meant it did need to be.
{snip}
So that sounds like a pretty experienced driver driving it hard on a non straightline course.

MoveItOrLoseIt.jpg

It's probably not an EVO, in terms of handling but it's pretty good in my opinion, I throw this things into curves I wouldn't dare attempt with a regular SUV and it fares pretty well.

MySpeed.jpg

8-)

Well, a lot of this thread made little sense to me, but I will say - that is one sexy looking car you got there! *drool* That I do know and understand! :)

Yeah, the Saturn Sky Red Line is a nice looking vehicle:

Saturn-Sky-Red-Line.jpg

I like the rims. :)

It certainly has its quirks, as most roadsters do.

One big one is that when first starting in the morning there's no vaccuum in the brake lines for about 30 seconds...which means no brakes for 30 seconds.

But get this, GM is saying that it is normal! :?

It was a big shock to me when I first realized it as I rolled out into the street from my driveway...unintentionally!

Plus, there's really no trunk space. The Miata is a lot smaller yet has a much bigger trunk. HUH?

The interior has that cheap plastic interior, but it is at least laid out well.

But, the handling is like a dream and it certainly has some oomf in terms of power. Can't beat being able to put the top down. Last but not least, its sexy looking. I'll probably keep it for quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back