Saturn Sky Red Line

Sheesh, 400 HP on a Sky? I'd be worried the thing would get airborn...

Edit: Wow, there is a conversion package for $70,000! 540hp rw. Sheesh, might as well just buy a Ferrari or something. I'd like to meet the guy who thinks its a wise financial decision to spend $70K to convert his $30K car.
How much torque?

People do this sort of thing all the time, though, check this out:

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_0704_2006_hennessey_srt600_jeep_srt8/specs_pricing.html

Look at these specs:

The result is a 6.1-liter V-8 that delivers 600 horsepower (180 horses over stock) at 5200 rpm backed by 650 pound-feet of torque at 4000 revs.

0-60 mph, sec 3.4
Quarter mile, sec @ mph 11.9 @ 115.6
60-0 mph, ft 123
650 lb-ft of torque?! :o

Here's what one Corvette owner says about 650 lb-ft of torque:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?p=1559058108

Newsflash for you...... 650 ft/lbs of torque would rip the driveline right out of that little Lexus toy, have you ever driven a car with that much torque??? I doubt it otherwise you would be a bit more enlightened. With 650 ft/lbs on tap you would be able to blaze all 4 tires across an entire intersection with that thing if you didnt leave the trans laying at the light.
One of the funnier threads I have read! :lol:

But the Jeep SRT8 ships with a heavy duty AMG kraut tranny:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1231

The tow capability is limited by the choice of the Mercedes A580 five speed automatic transmission. The A580 gave us our best performance... shift times and gear ratios.
3.4 seconds 0-60 mph? Even the stock 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is violent, it literally feels like the front wheels are coming off the ground!

Here's what my ex-girlfriend, Steph notes:

it's definitely a nice ride for the ladies too! as long as you don't scare them in it.
She could care less about the bhp and lb-ft torque figures, she's all about the rims, dvd player, nav. system, seats, etc... Let's just say the violent launch really got her attention. :wink:

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I don't know all the stats for the Mallett, but the lowest package puts out 400hp.400 lb-ft.

650 lb-ft?! My G**...wouldn't that make your heart stop or something...?

The SRT8 is a sexy vehicle with the balls to back it up. What does one cost with options?

The SRT8 is a sexy vehicle with the balls to back it up. What does one cost with options?
Thanks! I like it. :)

Didn't mean to highjack, I like talking about vehicles of all kinds...

Loaded, a Jeep GC SRT8's MSRP is ~$45k. I know a dealer in Chicago who will ship one to your door for $500 under invoice! Which is ~$43k.

So, did you buy one or thinking about it?

What's the gas mileage on it. Should have the displacement O/D...no?

The Sky R/L gets 300 miles out of a 13 gallon tank...and that's with the A/C always blowing (been hot here), and constantly testing out the acceleration (you know, to be sure I can pull out in to traffic quickly if I need to. ;)) I wouldn't be surprised if I could get 320 to 350 out of a tank of gas (I believe it is rated 27 highway.)

I have a Colorado with a 19 gallon tank. I get about 300 miles out of it...BUT, it's only an inline 5! ****** eats gas like its going out of style.

I went to the auto show, saw one, thought about it for a nano-second and bought one, fully loaded.

Gas mileage isn't very good, I'm getting 14 mpg. It's got a 21 gallon and that's good for ~250 miles. It deserves a bigger tank.

I love driving this thing, though. Merging up to speed is not a problem, I get comments and the thumbs up, all the time. I took it on a road trip through Michigan up to northern Ontario and it was great, threw my sister, brother-in-law and everything except the kitchen sink in the back and we went up there, quickly.

Having that kind of power is really great when you're on two lane highways behind Sunday drivers, overtaking in the oncoming lane is not a problem.

This kind of power needs to be respected, though, as noted here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=4065&page_number=3

And Marc reckoned the ride is “too firm for all but the most performance-oriented enthusiasts.”

Those are the ones this single-minded Jeep is aimed at; people who will go out and find its limits on a back road, and will find out that, yes, it can be provoked to oversteer on corner entry, and yes, again on corner exit as it spins all four tires. Maybe Marc summed up the GC SRT8 best when he said, “The Jeep is what the Cayenne should have been — focused 100 percent on performance; road performance, that is.”
Yes, indeed, I managed to get all 4 wheels spinning on a corner exit as I fish-tailed up a bridge one evening, on wet pavement by accident. It's pretty easy if you get your foot into it before you get fully lined up. :o

1st gear needs to be treated with respect in snowy/icey conditions too if you're running on the stock run-flat, 12" wide performance tires, which I did last winter. It'll come unglued on you in a hurry if you get into it too much, which is easy to do. :lol:

I would assume it has traction control...if so, do you leave it on? Maybe you should when dring in snow/rain. :)

That's with traction control on. :)

You can only disable traction control by 80% by hitting the button to disengage, the only way to eliminate it by 100% is to pull a specific fuse under the hood.

Man, it was really built for speed, huh? Traction control that let's you burn all four tires? :o

My prayers are with you... :lol:

Too bad about the gas consumption. Does it not have displacement-on-demand? I thought all DC vehicles with the Hemi's had it...?

Man, it was really built for speed, huh? Traction control that let's you burn all four tires? :o

My prayers are with you... :lol:
On dry pavement, the only way I know how to do this is to go through a corner way too fast. In straight-line acceleration, on dry pavement, you get a chirp and you're [long] gone.

It's also hard to spin 'em in a straight-line on wet pavement unless it's really cold out, like 32-40F. But on a corner, when you're not line up, you can get fishy in a hurry if you get into it too much before you're lined up in a straight-line.

It's really not too bad, you just have keep in mind what's on tap and respect it. Every now and then I forget, like rushing to beat oncoming traffic from a parking lot and give it too much gas on a corner. It's a pretty serious wake-up call when the tires are barking and chirping and you're thrown back into your seat. :o

But yeah, if you pull the TC fuse, which also will disable ABS, you can easily roast all 4 in a fairly straight-line. :lol:
Too bad about the gas consumption. Does it not have displacement-on-demand? I thought all DC vehicles with the Hemi's had it...?
Only the smaller V8s, the 5.7 litre varieties ship with this. The 6.1 litres SRT8 engines do not have this. I think the SRT10 Viper engines are lacking this, as well. Not sure why... :-?

Only the smaller V8s, the 5.7 litre varieties ship with this. The 6.1 litres SRT8 engines do not have this. I think the SRT10 Viper engines are lacking this, as well. Not sure why... :-?

That's too bad. An engine that size is the one that would need DOD the most. I'm becoming very concious about fuel consumption...not only for the $$$, but I guess the media has gotten to me about being more "green". I gotta wonder why it would not have it though.

I don't think I've seen any of these on the road yet. I've been keeping my eye open. You'd think living in the Detroit area I'd see these one at least once in a while. I want to antagonize one a t a light just to see it gooooooooooooo...... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back