Rory

...can you explain your quote in your signature?
Rory, don't you dare! I wasted fifteen minutes finding out the answer -- Erik needs to do the same! :lol: (Hint: actually being able to speak French [like Erik] will put you at a distinct disadvantage.)

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
15 minutes, GREG??
Slow internet? :biggrin:

Humpty Dumpty
Sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty
Had a great fall.

I like to play language games, but to my sense they need to be "pure". These rhymes are supposed to be transposed into French phonetically, but there are several mistakes.

example
aux Halles
The x will always be pronounced as "z"

15 minutes, GREG??
Slow internet? :biggrin:

Nope, slow brain...:stickouttounge: I kept trying to translate it. And since my French is terrible, I kept thinking it must be my fault for just not being able to figure out the "translation". Even after I found "humpty dumpty" on the internet it wasn't until the second or third time seeing it that it occured to me to just read it out loud. :rolleyes:

Erik - that bugged me for ages, till I eventually worked out that I had to drop the liaison to make it work - most annoying! :biggrin:

(I'd seen the rhyme before, but don't think my French was very good then ;) )

There is no liaison there. 'Halles' is one of those words like 'haie' where the h is aspirated - so you say la haie, not l'haie for example.

I looked at it and knew that it reminded me of Humpty Dumpty, but didn't know why. I didn't say it out loud, but instead went about trying to translate it, getting more and more confused by Google's attempts at translation. So simple...so elegant :-)
Cindy
(and to echo someone else's comment in another thread...Hello Erik!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back