my stupid little database, wont work with different OS

tails

Board Regular
I have made a small database to store error logs from users, you may have heard me speak of this before but now i am having another problem. The default value that i am using for my date and time text boxes is having trouble complying with different OS's, the default value for date is =date() and for time =time(). I made the program on a XP machine and it is having trouble with a 98 machine, I'm just wondering if anyone knows why, it has the same program of access (office 2000) on both machines. so is there a way to fix it. thanks

Tails

If you're using a Tablet PC (which I think you said you were), this dll is for the digital ink. Not directly related to Access, more to the type of PC you're using, and transferring between one and the other is possibly the issue.

Denis

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Well all i know is that once i found the missing dll file and copied it to the location it was looking for it worked perfectly fine. It was quite strange how it did it but it worked and thats what I'm happy about. Why would it do that if its a digital ink dll and not the one i was looking for. Thats just really strange.

Tails

Off the top of my head it works doing that.

Do you know what that particular dll does?

I wouldn't really have a clue but sydneygeek sounds like he knows. Wonder if we can get MrExcel onto this??? He will probably know why its done what its done... Otherwise i would not have a clue why it allowed the autodate to work.

Upvote 0
For your information, we run Access from a network drive and that dll resides in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink

Can't tell you what it does though.

Upvote 0
Don't know if this is of any help. This is a reply to a query about. ink.dll

I have seen this with some installations of the Windows XP for Tablet.
Yes you are right the DLL should be installed but it seems (only my theory
and not proven yet) that if you don’t install any of the Tablet specific
apps then it doesn't install the DLL.

References:
Depends what you want to do.
You will need to reference Microsoft.ink.dll for most basic inking
functionality.
Microsoft.ink.15.dll contains some additional features, such as the Ink
Divider.

Upvote 0
Tanis said:
For your information, we run Access from a network drive and that dll resides in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink

Yeah that is the same drive that i have just put it into on the 98 machine, i have only done it to one so far as i have been more worried about a project that i'm in the midst of. As for the ink dll file it seems that without that installed windows 98 can run any automatic functions. eg automatic input of the time, automatic input of the date, possibly any other functions like that... but the code i had behind the date box is =date() which should just take the date from the computer quite easily. But it seems to need that dll file to be installed onto the machine, otherwise to automatic functions (i think)

Upvote 0
So has anyone actually found out why the access database needs the inkobj.dll file to run autofunctions or is there still no hope for an answer out there. It's been bugging me for the last few days now and im wondering why it really needs the dll to be installed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyapratama

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back