Most common & most unusual forms of Excel abuse?

Most common abuse I see is:

• they should have used Access

Votes: 33 67.3%
  • they should have used PowerPoint

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • they should have used Word

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • they should have used Outlook

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I rarely, if ever, see this

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
Of course, in a radical move to reduce productivity, we will apparently be switching to Notes this year, so maybe it does make sense for it to be in Excel...:biggrin:

OMG, what are they thinking!!! I've been forced to use Notes for the last five years and I hate it with a passion. Fortunately Leeds City Council have just signed a major deal with MS so we should be getting Outlook in the not too distant future.

In my humble opinion one of the greatest abuses of Excel is when people have four spreadsheets doing what could essentially be done in one and then spend most of their day transferring data from one to the other.

The letter writing in Excel was more prelevent at my last job as hardly anyone did anything complicated enough to demand Access but in general I would say that trying to set up complex mutli-user systems in Excel is the greatest no-no I see these days.

Dom

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Our US parent company uses Notes and I guess misery loves company... ;)

I've used Excel as my webbrowser cos then it looks like I don't have tinternet open at work (well, in case anyone looks at my taskbar). It worked for a while before people realised I wasn't being quite as dedicated as they thought...

Using Excel as a web browswer? You've piqued my interest. I know that you can use VBA to do some web queries, but how would you set it up to to act like a full browser?

Opps, I'm falling into that evil trap of wanting to abuse Excel!!! Bad me!

Owen

(No, really, how do you do it!)

Our US parent company uses Notes and I guess misery loves company... ;)
My company has finally made the right decision by going from Notes to Outlook. I'm excited for the 2Q this year because we will be on Outlook and be using SharePoint.

Its about time I don't have to keep messing around with Notes.

More of this :beerchug: and less of this :banghead: hopefully.

The way that I did that was to add a microsoft Internet explorer control and some basic controls to it. A web address text box, a back and a forward control, and BANG, you have a web browser imbedded in an excel sheet.

Cal

Of course, in a radical move to reduce productivity, we will apparently be switching to Notes this year, so maybe it does make sense for it to be in Excel...
Dat ain't Excel abuse, Rory. That's just abuse. Perhaps there are shelters in the UK? Or at least some type of counselling hotline to talk you off the ledge?

One of our IT guys merrily said: "Lotus Notes has a user base of about 118 million. All but three of them hate it." Of course, it's not his call, as he's too sensible!

Thousands of users over in the states already on Notes; just a few hundred over here happy on Outlook. Cheaper to make everyone miserable than happy I guess... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back