Most common & most unusual forms of Excel abuse?

Most common abuse I see is:

• they should have used Access

Votes: 33 67.3%
  • they should have used PowerPoint

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • they should have used Word

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • they should have used Outlook

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I rarely, if ever, see this

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
THAT is just plain wrong. :)

Anyway, browsing the very same site I cam across this lovely little oddity.
The funny part is - it is even in the German excel version I'm using - all nicely translated...

Nice...
I wonder if the help files are run through an automated translator? They do support a lot of languages. I wonder if such translations would be as butchered as much as some the to-english translations I see in "instruction" manuals?!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Well, if they are run through an automated translator, it is pretty good. Apart from being completly useless most of the time time anyway, the help file's language at least does not add to the confusion...

The worst situation I had received a support call on a workbook that contained a gantt chart, tasks, subtasks, and more. A novice user made the call as the manager created it and wanted the user to enter data in it. The spreadsheet used if/then statements and conditional formatting. The gannt bars were created based on entry in the tasks/dates. Yes, MS Project is annoying, but using a spreadsheet with hundreds of if/then statements was just a bad idea.

The worst situation I had received a support call on a workbook that contained a gantt chart, tasks, subtasks, and more. A novice user made the call as the manager created it and wanted the user to enter data in it. The spreadsheet used if/then statements and conditional formatting. The gannt bars were created based on entry in the tasks/dates. Yes, MS Project is annoying, but using a spreadsheet with hundreds of if/then statements was just a bad idea.

Yeah. they could have imported the whole thing into Visio and maintained it there... :diablo:

Denis

Hey I like project. People who bash it, usually are just upset because they have to learn something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back