Misleading charts and data

Why would you ALWAYS refuse to use a pie chart? If you're wanting to show a simple split of resources or something, surely a pie chart is an easy way to show that?

If 10% of my time is spent on admin, 30% on meetings and the rest on sales, for example, a pie chart would work and wouldn't mislead at all.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Why would you ALWAYS refuse to use a pie chart? If you're wanting to show a simple split of resources or something, surely a pie chart is an easy way to show that?

If 10% of my time is spent on admin, 30% on meetings and the rest on sales, for example, a pie chart would work and wouldn't mislead at all.

I don't think that Denis meant that they are misleading (although they can be - see link below), rather just that they are pointless.

Personally I prefer a vertical scale 0% - 100%. Which means I would probably use a stacked column.

In fact rather, for me anything suitably represented on a pie is just as easy to represent on a simple table. Anything more than 4 - 5 slices becomes difficult to interpret (imo). I especially hate 3D pie charts: http://www.mrexcel.com/tip142.shtml

I agree that 3D pie charts are rubbish charts.

In fact, someone should do a 3D pie chart to show what percentage of chart types are ok and what percentage are rubbish.

As Jon said, it's not that they are always misleading. They just can't represent large datasets well. Most of the charting I do requires trend information with many data points and I have seen people try to use pies for that. Straight percentages, 3 or 4 points, no problem. but IMO, it's one of the most badly used chart types so I just avoid them on principle.

Denis

As Jon said, it's not that they are always misleading. They just can't represent large datasets well. Most of the charting I do requires trend information with many data points and I have seen people try to use pies for that. Straight percentages, 3 or 4 points, no problem. but IMO, it's one of the most badly used chart types so I just avoid them on principle.

Denis

Another chart type that I have seen abused is ye olde bar chart. I've seen people try to plot several years worth of monthly data for several datasets (picture 5 or 6 colored bar sets), and then orient their x-axis vertically so the labels don't overlap, thus making the actual plot area very short and wide, so the trend (if there is one) is even more difficult to see. I don't know why people are so afraid of x-y scatter plots in these cases...

Another chart type that I have seen abused is ye olde bar chart. I've seen people try to plot several years worth of monthly data for several datasets (picture 5 or 6 colored bar sets), and then orient their x-axis vertically so the labels don't overlap, thus making the actual plot area very short and wide, so the trend (if there is one) is even more difficult to see. I don't know why people are so afraid of x-y scatter plots in these cases...
Yep. And can anyone tell me why X-Y Scatter is the only Excel chart type with a numerical X-axis?

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back