Lunch and smoke breaks

xyzabc198

Board Regular
Hi there, I work with a company that gives me 1hr lunch break, but no cigarette breaks, I find I need at least 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon...is there any law that will help me with this?
I know this aint excel related but just wondered

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I wouldn't call it a Cigarrette break, but I think the law requires at least 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked, plus at least 30 minute Lunch if over 6 hours worked..

something like that..I'm not a lawyer, so don't quote me....LOL..

No law that I'm aware of I'm afraid. As far as I know they are within their rights to determine that you should be working for specific times of the day but not for excessive periods although I'm no expert on employment law.

No quite the same but I used to smoke during the day at my old job when you didn't have to account for the time. As soon as I started my current one you had to knock 10 mins off your time for every smoke break you took. I cut down to 1 in the morning and one in the afternoon pretty quickly and then stopped smoking before 5pm totally. In the end it has led to me quitting completely, well mostly.

I'm surprised they don't let you sign out for a mid morning break though and make the time up elsewhere.

Dom

I wouldn't call it a Cigarrette break, but I think the law requires at least 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked, plus at least 30 minute Lunch if over 6 hours worked..

something like that..I'm not a lawyer, so don't quote me....LOL..
That is U.S. law, but Bordon, Hants is in the U.K. (I believe) so I doubt it would apply there. :)

Last edited:
There are few companies here in Michigan, that have banned employees from smoking altogether, at work or home...

There are few companies here in Michigan, that have banned employees from smoking altogether, at work or home...

I recall one in the UK that tried that one. I believe they went as far as random carbon monoxide tests but seem to remember they had to back down in the end and just say people couldn't smoke at work.

I don't know why they thought they had any right to say what people can and can't do in their own homes (within the law.)

I don't know why they thought they had any right to say what people can and can't do in their own homes (within the law.)

It's actually more a healthcare/insurance/benefits issue, from what I understand. The employer would try to save money by eliminating health hazards with their employees, without reducing benefits.

I can take breaks at my job whenever I want, as long as I spend a total of 8 hrs working (in reality, it's actually just as long as I do 40 hrs a week), but at my old job that wasn't the case. I think one 15 minute smoke was allowed in each the morning and afternoon, for smoker's only. Not being a smoker, you can see why I'd hate the policy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back