Jealousy

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Aleast they said thanks. I get a lot where they never post back one way or the other. And then I have to wonder ...

Aleast they said thanks. I get a lot where they never post back one way or the other. And then I have to wonder ...

I tend to just get another question ... :)

I suffer from board envy ... more often that not once I see the uber-solution I can see that I too "could" have done it if only I were smart enough to think of the approach... though I concede that on too many occasions for my liking that is not always the case :bow:

Thread hijack :)

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the tendency for responders to use VBA by default, even when a simple formula might do the job?

Similarly, is there an increased trend for OPs to ask for VBA or macros (and sometimes even calling on Marcos), even when the problem requires a formula based solution?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the tendency for responders to use VBA by default, even when a simple formula might do the job?

I think a lot of time, they cannot come up with a formula themselves, so they often think that a more complex solution, such as VBA, is required. So I don't think it is usuallu matter of preferring VBA over formulas, it is more of a matter of not realizing that there may be a formula that can do it.

Similarly, is there an increased trend for OPs to ask for VBA or macros (and sometimes even calling on Marcos), even when the problem requires a formula based solution?

I noticed that long ago. Normally as a bonus I'll wrap the answer in a nice wise-aśś remark like "you can just do =A1*2 or you can spend hours creating a digital signature, learning how to force macros to be enabled, blah, blah, blah."

Oh yes. I have caught myself at it a time or two even. Once the novelty of VBA wears off though, I am of the opinion that you should use the code that is already written. (Another words, don't build a function in VBA when Microsoft has already built one that works.)

Not in my threads, to be honest. I try to go with whatever is pertinent. Granted there is native functionality that I'm not crazy about, i.e., I will reinvent the wheel from time-to-time. However, I do try to consider all worlds before I respond to question.

Especially when Aladin (or one of the other formula gurus) posts one of his doozies... :lol:

I second this statement :cool:

When someone like Aladin, Mr. Richard, Mr. Andrew Poulsom, Jindon, to name a few, post their super tight code solutions, it makes me feel like the way Luke feels all the time :lol:

Nevertheless, there is always a very stiff competition amongst us because there are too many of the Gurus on this Board - not to forget, Luke, KrishnaKumar, Mr. Stanley (StanleyDGrom), Rory, VOG, Peter_Sss, and the list could go on.. does not have an end. Albeit, we do learn from these alternate solutions and it is a great feeling !!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back