Jealousy

As one on the end of receiving useful help when requested, I appreciate all the methods of doing, what I thought I asked for, and see which best fits my needs.

And very confused when offset, array, index etc appear so elegantly and I really can't see how they work, even when beautifully crafted

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
And very confused when offset, array, index etc appear so elegantly and I really can't see how they work, even when beautifully crafted
Have you been using the evaluate formula tool on the data | formula auditing (it's on the formula tab in 2007)? It is a terrific tool for trying to comprehend some of the advanced magic Aladin and our posse of formula wizards here cast.

Have you been using the evaluate formula tool on the data | formula auditing (it's on the formula tab in 2007)? It is a terrific tool for trying to comprehend some of the advanced magic Aladin and our posse of formula wizards here cast.

You hav epiqued my interest, now I'm going to get even less work done as I explore

I agree and love it when someone else posts gives qudos to your answer. While still giving yet a different twist for an answer. I have learned alot by seeing how something can be accomplished in different ways. I think as someone said here before it is a lot of times the OP just takes the answer they most understand. I muse though when you give an answer and they don't even bother to try it, just decide "nope that's not it" when it is. =)

I try to help out when I can, but I'm definitly in the "knows just enough to be dangerous and lead people down the wrong path" category. When I'm obviously wrong or when a better solution comes up, I try to give credit to the person who posted it.

What drives me crazy is when someone feels they have a complex answer so they keep going down the complex solution route...never bother trying the less complex solution because "obviously it won't fit their complex needs". Seems to happen a lot when people want to count conditional formatting...they hardly ever want to count what causes the conditional formatting, they get fixated on counting the colors themselves.

What I find frustrating is when I reply to an unanswered thread, and in the time it takes to type up an answer, someone has already responded with pretty much the same answer! So now my response has become the "mockingbird" response.

Course, if I learned how to type, it probably wouldn't be an issue...:rolleyes:

Hi Joe, I know the feeling. When I post a solution, I usually copy the OP's data onto a blank sheet, work out a solution, then come back and post it. This takes a bit of time, so before I post, I check if anyone else has posted a response similar to mine. I see none, so I post, and by the time the Board updates, lo and behold, three solutions have been posted before mine, making me Johnny come lately. I don't think this is down to typing speed, just a vagary of the Board.

Nevertheless, it gives me a warm feeling inside when my solution matches something given by those I consider experts (too many to name here), and an even warmer feeling that I am now managing to give back a bit of what I have received from this Board (for which we are truly thankful).

Personally I hate it when I reply, and one or more other people have also replied with different solutions, and then the OP replies saying "Thanks, it worked great!".

Without telling us which one worked.

But that's still better than OPs who never come back at all.

Personally I hate it when I reply, and one or more other people have also replied with different solutions, and then the OP replies saying "Thanks, it worked great!".

Without telling us which one worked.

:laugh: I have felt that way soooo many times! However, that's better than when there are four alternatives and the OP posts back "that doesn't work" and you're left wondering - did he try them all? Or is he referring to just the first one?

However, that's better than when there are four alternatives and the OP posts back "that doesn't work" and you're left wondering - did he try them all? Or is he referring to just the first one?

:biggrin:You got that right Greg !

Or when they just say "It didn't work" when you KNOW it MUST work, if they've described their problem correctly.

I just have to say Ditto to both Greg and Gerald. I can't tell you how many times I've zoned out of a post because of an "it didn't work", or how frustrated one of those "Thanks, it works!" responses with 4-5 different answers can be...

Maybe for me it stems from my PC illiterate boss' constant "this isn't right!" to a lot of the stuff I generate. I finally gave up and left it at: "Obviously you're right. When you figure out what's wrong you just come and let me know..." :)

Or, if I'm really pissed at him, I'd say "Of course it looks wrong. You have it opened in Word." But I'm also the ultimate smarta$$. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back