Jealousy

Expiry

When someone posts a problem on here, there's usually more than one solution.

Does anyone else get slightly jealous when yours is one of many solutions - that works - only to see the OP reply to say that they're using someone else's?

Goddam it! I hate that.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Not really, I just feel sorry for them not choosing to use my obviously far superior solution ;)

Dom

When someone posts a problem on here, there's usually more than one solution.

Does anyone else get slightly jealous when yours is one of many solutions - that works - only to see the OP reply to say that they're using someone else's?

Goddam it! I hate that.

You're lucky if your OPs come back to say anything. A lot of them don't even bother.

For me, the jealousy works the other way round, except it is envy, when I see the far more elegant solutions compared to my sledgehammer tactics, and I think "I wish I could have done that", "or that", "or at least even that".

It's not a case of the OP selecting your suggestion that should matter, but the fact that you have taught an alternative route to a number of people who did not even know a route existed.

Best. Thread. Evar.

rofl@everyone

Seriously though, OPs choose solutions for a lot of different reasons. They don't choose what is "best" they choose what is "best for them". And that can because they found one solution easier to understand, fewer lines of code, it blended in better with what they had without causing a rewrite on and on. A lot of times the best solution is a total rewrite, and in lieu of doing a total rewrite they just kluge what they were after into what they have. So uhm... nope I don't take it personally:)

If I posted the best solution then I guess I fall somewhere between Expiry's jealosy and Domski's pity... frustration? If another member's solution is better (and assuming the OP did pick theirs) then I guess it's a mixture of Riaz's envy and gratitude for a nice learning experience [which seems to be the case most often when Aladin or Barry or Domenic post behind me on a formula-based question].

On the other hand, if another member posts a solution that I consider superior to what I offered and the OP indicated he went with mine; I will flat out tell the OP to use the other suggestion and try to explain why. The inverse is trickier. When your own solution is better, it can be tricky to explain your solution's superiority without coming across like you're putting down the other member's suggestion. Unless the other guy's suggestion is pretty bad, I'll just hope the OP will pick the better solution.

If I see a thread where several solutions are offered and I cannot materially improve on what's already there; I'll try to summarize the pro's and con's of a couple the well-crafted solutions and under which circumstances one might chose (a), (b) or (c).

Last edited:
For me, the jealousy works the other way round, except it is envy, when I see the far more elegant solutions compared to my sledgehammer tactics, and I think "I wish I could have done that", "or that", "or at least even that".

Especially when Aladin (or one of the other formula gurus) posts one of his doozies... :lol:

I have seen a lot of replies where the OP just tries the first response, and is satisfied with that if it works, even if there are more elegant solutions posted below it. But at lot of times, they need a quick answer, so that is understandable.

What I find frustrating is when I reply to an unanswered thread, and in the time it takes to type up an answer, someone has already responded with pretty much the same answer! So now my response has become the "mockingbird" response.

Course, if I learned how to type, it probably wouldn't be an issue...:rolleyes:

What I find frustrating is when I reply to an unanswered thread, and in the time it takes to type up an answer, someone has already responded with pretty much the same answer! So now my response has become the "mockingbird" response.

Phhht - I never see those as copycats at all; I just look at the post times. If they're a few minutes apart then I figure it just re-inforces for the user that said solution is a solid one.

What baffles me is when some greenhorn comes behind days, weeks or even months later and posts a rather horrid little suggestion. Never have understood what would possess someone to do that. :huh:

Phhht - I never see those as copycats at all; I just look at the post times. If they're a few minutes apart then I figure it just re-inforces for the user that said solution is a solid one.
Oh, I know. And you're absolutely right. Still make me feel like a "Johnny-come-lately" though...

To expand upon one of the earlier responses, I think one of the coolest things is when you post what you think is a pretty good answer, and then someone else posts one that just blows you away. I have learned a LOT that way (and usually try to give that responder their due props!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back