Is this weird??

There was one where a guy was robbing a house (or trying to) and tripped and fell and broke his leg or something. He then sued the owners of the house for liability. I think he won.

You can find all kinds of stories of people doing really stupid things at www.darwinawards.com
A website dedicated to
"Honoring those who improve the species...by
accidentally removing themselves from it! "

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Oh I LOVE the Darwin Awards!

And yes I think I heard about the robbery (except I am so tired (and dense) that I read it five times as 'horse') and I think you are right. I think he did win. Though I can't think where I read it to back it up.

Edit:

http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid2006-07.html

I promise you this wasn't the party I was at... but it almost could have been...

Last edited:
When I was a student, one of my friends fell in the river because he was too busy thinking about quaternions...

I'm missing the cause/effect relationship there, Emma. Or, is that an acceptable excuse for anything in the UK?

Maybe I should try that out here:
"Sorry, boss... I'm late for work because I was busy thinking about quaternions"
"Yes, I know I'm late on my payment...but, I've been thinking about quaternions."
"Was I speeding, officer? I must have been distracted by thoughts of quaternions."

:rofl:
must try that first one myself!

He claimed not to have seen the river. His explanation was entirely plausible.

What makes it more funny is that according to Wikipedia (yep...I too had to google it), the inventor of quaternions came up with the approach while walking alongside a river:
On October 16, 1843, Hamilton and his wife took a walk along the Royal Canal in Dublin. While they walked across Brougham Bridge (now Broom Bridge), a solution suddenly occurred to him.
...(remainder of article describing how to divide numbers that I think I'll never need to divide!)
Cindy

It sounds as if the bridge is the key. This guy was thinking about quartewhatsits, and figured it out - and lo a bridge appeared before him.

Your friend didn't figure it out in time for the bridge of the enlightened to appear before him.

Anyone else feel that lo is a really underused word? ;)

I've heard it used a lot, but never in its Olde English sense. The current usage I've come across is as a prelude to the punch line.

eg

Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile, and be happy, things could be worse."
So I smiled, and was happy, and lo and behold, things did get worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back