Is this weird??

lenze

Legend
Just bought a new cell phone. My 7th if my memory serves me right. Decided for a change to actually read the "User Guide". First 3 pages are a list of 34 safety precautions. What's funny is, number 6 is

"Don't use your cell phone while driving"

Makes sense it would be in the top 10, until I looked at number 2.

"Don't put your cell phone in a microwave as battery will explode"

I got to admit. I'm not creative enough to have thought of that one:laugh:

lenze

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
It's concerning that there was a need to include that one, Lenze, as it implies that someone's done it before.

But, I'm more intrigued by who, exactly, that instruction is targeting. This is an individual who would actually be prone to put a cell phone in a microwave, but is still resourceful enough to read the instuctions for said phone. You'd think they could address by name in the instructions the one person in the world who might fit both of those habits. :-)

drop you phone in the toilet - Put it in the microwave to dry it. Makes sence.

Now I know I will take the battery out before.

This reminds me of a story I read, it may have been on this site, where McDonalds had to put on their coffee cups - caution hot liquid, because thay had been sued by someone who had burned their lip. Or something like that!

This is an individual who would actually be prone to put a cell phone in a microwave, but is still resourceful enough to read the instuctions for said phone.

But I guess if they put it in the instructions clearly enough they can't be sued. Although having said that I see in the MacDonalds Coffee incident that there WAS a warning. Lord help us.

There are a few shows in the UK where they regularly put things in microwaves to make them explode. I guess it's just warning people not to copy them.

My personal, safe'ish, favourites are making a light bulb glow by popping it in a glass of water and the glowing gherkins (pickle in the US I guess) which I seem to remember can be made more impressive by sticking a pencil lead in it.

When I was a student one of my housemates had a pretty ruined old microwave that he filled with some tin foil, a balloon full of gas, a couple of fireworks and a can of lighter fluid in and stuck on full power. The explosion was quite impressive!!!

I guess you mean stuff like Brainiacs? I love those shows.

I am surprised your friend didn't kill the entire neighbourhood with that.

The most stupid thing I think I have seen is a housemate of mine (after some quantity of alcohol) selecting the biggest rocket from the box of fireworks and using his left hand as the launched. He lit it while holding it. He then DIDN'T let go, and it finally got away from him and it exploded about a metre and a half over his head. I was trying to work out exactly what we were going to say to the paramedics... But the booze absorbed most of the pain.

I guess I should have said that it wasn't done indoors. We were having a party at his parents' farm and it seemed like a good idea at the time. We had a good few bales of hay to shelter behind and a very long extension lead to power the microwave. It still came as a bit of a shock when it went up though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back