Is there a name for those people....

I tend to do that with non-urgent stuff that I'm not sure how to tackle. I put it on my to do list, and if they haven't asked me about it a couple of months later, I take it off again. If I like the person, I ask them if it's still relevant before deleting it. I'd never thought of writing it up as a positive character attribute before, though!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Ah well, I don't have character 'flaws', just 'features'. :)
It was a small-ish startup company so I was doing 3 jobs including being the entire IT department; in the interests of my sanity and everyone else's safety, I was allowed to work however I liked as long as what needed to be done got done. (we occasionally had different ideas as to what really needed doing, but mostly it worked fine.)

Oh yeah gotta love the "I need this right away" request that then sits on their desk for two weeks+.
Rory that happened to me too many times...

Are you trying to make me feel pitifully inadequate?! :rolleyes:
No - just owning up to my own stupidity for being in that position!

Now I just get people forwarding me urgent emails to deal with that they received several weeks earlier...
(edit: apart from one of my colleagues, who is currently snoring at his desk!)

Last edited:
arkusM - you're very articulate for one so young... (cute piccie ;) )

That is a reasonable facsimile of me!! It is my two and half month old son. (he is a big boy, 17 lbs!!:) )<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Hee hee... all you poor folk out there worrying about how to make your jobs more interesting...

I must confess that like the guy in your earlier post Emma I always aimed to put the stupid hours in with the aim of getting out on time thereafter. The reality however is that there is never a shortage of people willing to take up any of the spare time/capacity you have created for yourself with their latest and greatest ideas which they themselves have no idea how to approach... go figure... blind leading the blind etc...
(for great ideas read: CFO thought of whilst sitting on the cr*pper)

I'm a big believer in realising the potential of taking a day out early on in the process to save 10 days in the long run... too often people fail to think along those lines either for themselves or for their team. And Emma even if what you did the other day does not save time on that particular task until the London Olympics I have no doubt that what you learnt in implementing it will save you lots of time approaching other similar tasks in the not too distant future. Learning can never be a waste of time in my book.

I guess that's why we all come here... to learn as much as we can and I'm sure none of us consider this place a waste of our time ?
(Lounge excepted!)

EDIT: P.S.: Rory, the fact you have "colleagues" as opposed to staff is quite scary... I dread to think where you work.

Last edited:
I learn things in the lounge. Never know where the crazy talk goes!! LOL

If I said "staff", that would imply I have people working for me! As always seems to be the way for me, I am a department of one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back