Is there a name for those people....

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I'm torn between Erik's and Dom's suggestions, both v. good. Clearly this phenomenom is not limited to the offices I've worked in.

What about a name for those who think they know what they're doing but who end up doing more damage than good? ....Bullsheeters?

Rob

I would have thought Dontwannabes or Cantbebotheredabes!

I have been having serious problems lately with this group of people. I have had my eyes opened by the new and innovative ways that people can screw up filling out templates. It has made me realise that some people simply have no interest or no knowledge. And this isn't me bad-mouthing them just a little epiphany I had.

The single thing that really did it for me was seeing people write over formulas. Surely if there is something already in a box in a template it is there for a reason? Taught me to reguarly lock cells PDQ!

Bryony - does your head in, doesn't it? I used to have to get the same group of people to fill out a revenue template month after month. They had to put the total revenue for each job, and then phase it over the months they'd be doing the work. It had a check column to make sure the phasing equalled the total - and they would regularly delete the formula in it because they didn't like it when it wasn't zero!

I know of a few:
Ignoscenti - those who believe they know what they are doing and therefore refuse to listen to anyone else?
Ignoranus - one who does not know his a#se from his elbow.
Technoramus - speaks for itself. :)

There's also "William" but that's a bit specific to me, I suspect... :biggrin:

Actually, I’m gonna stick up here for a certain group. That would be the group that simply don’t realise that things can be made easier. It’s not until someone comes along that knows what they’re doing that suddenly this group realises that they don’t have to do things manually anymore. There’s not really any excuse for people that add up rows of data with a calculator, but when it’s something (even as simple as VLOOKUP) that they just don’t know exists, it’s not really their fault….and normally their time is taken up by doing actual work rather than problem solving. These are the people that I feel for the most as I used to belong to this group many moons ago. But the key is that when you finally unlock the secrets of Excel, you need to keep learning rather then just asking one person to keep doing things for you.

Lewiy - I love that group. People who start learning things, and then share stuff back with you - fab! I even quite like the ones who don't want to learn, but who appreciate the neat tricks, and will ask you to do something for them as a one-off when they're stuck. Makes my day more interesting, and I quite like being able to show off ;)

Lewiy - I love that group. People who start learning things, and then share stuff back with you - fab! I even quite like the ones who don't want to learn, but who appreciate the neat tricks, and will ask you to do something for them as a one-off when they're stuck. Makes my day more interesting, and I quite like being able to show off ;)

I couldn't agree more with you there. In fact, they are actually the same group that keep me employed at the moment! In some ways I feel a little guilty about not teaching them anything..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hickman156

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back