Increase in Spam

Don't do that. It makes for more cleanup work and annoys the mods. (I used to add 'Reported' after each one until Tracy told me it created more work for them)
Also, assuming this board works the same way as other vBulletin boards, it's a one click thing to delete all that spammer's posts, so you only need to report one of them.

Ahh, I didn't realize it made for more work. Thanks for pointing out this info. :)

Also, assuming this board works the same way as other vBulletin boards, it's a one click thing to delete all that spammer's posts, so you only need to report one of them.
We don't actually delete the posts, but remove from the Public forums to a place that the public cannot see them (so we have evidence if people ask us why they were banned - which does happen occassionally).

So we actually do have to handle each post individually, though by now it is usually standard practice for us Moderators to search for other posts by the member when we remove their posts and ban them.

So if there are other posts by the same member, it should be sufficient if you just report one and in your report indicate that there are also other Spam posts by that individual to be moved.

BTW, I am moving this thread to the "About This Board" forum.

Is there no 'soft' delete option?

I believe there is on deleting individual posts, but I do not know if there is on the "Delete All Posts from This User as Spam" option.

There may be other reasons why the Admins prefer it handled is this manner that I do not know about.

There is but we can batch move spammers posts / threads but don't believe the same option exists for 'soft' delete (although I may be wrong).

Ahh, OK. (I confess, I haven't checked the soft delete on all posts, as I hard delete spam on forums where I moderate :))
Edit: it does appear (haven't actually done it!) that the deletion options should apply to all the posts specified.

Last edited:
Are the spammers actual people, or are then some bot program, or a mix of the two?

I guess there's a pretty fine line between creating steps to validate that a person is a real person who wants Excel help and frustrating people from making initial posts in the forum because there are several hoops to jump through before you get your question answered...

Either way, I don't envy the mod's role at all.

Well, if nothing else, at least we have been slightly more educated in the ways of the Board.
It's good to know we don't have to find ALL posts to register as spam.
AND
I agree, and have already stated, that the Mods do a great job.
I still think we need to keep an open mind on the remove post approach though, because it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
Johns comment about the spams being in waves is also an interesting and valid comment....I wonder what triggers the start of a new "wave"

gee, there's been a flurry of activity on this one...

i too dont want to be seen as critical of the job the mods do. this forum runs really smoothly and compared to some others about, is relatively spam free.

i mentioned that newsgroups have seen a lot of spam lately. on one group i use there where 70000 new spam posts in 1 day (and it wasnt a warez or **** group)

P
And it's that proliferation and magnitude that concerns me.
When that happens will we be prepared, or will our Mods be able to cope. I think not, and hence my starting the thread in the first place. It's gonna get worse and my thinking is that there needs to be a Plan "B"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back