Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, humans are way too smart for assembled capacitors and resistors

• matrix is coming

• Total voters

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi,

In 2049 a computer for $1000 will exceed intelligence of human race
will the dollar still exist?
will computers still exist?
will humans still exist?
what will be the value of 1 $?
how would intelligence be defined?

A lot of questions I do not bother :-)

I would ask
will any computer ever exceed intelligence of human race
for me the answer is NO, but this still depends on my definition of intelligence

kind regards,
Erik

wouldn't know what the third option is about: "matrix is coming" :-?

An interesting topic to ponder. My personal belief is that computers will only surpass human intelligence or have true AI when one can pass the "I know what I know test"
An example: You ask me these questions
1)What is your birthday (July 4)
2)What is your daughter's birthday (July 18)
3)What is Abe Lincoln's birthday (Let me think about that. I learned that in Elem school. Oh yeah Feb 12)
4)What is Erik's birthday (I haven't a clue)

In the first 2 questions, I should know and readily respond. In the 3rd, I do know and I KNOW I know, but might need to cogitate to answer. For the 4th question, I don't know and I KNOW I don't know.

A computer does not have that quality. It does NOT know what it knows. It only can respond by checking its data sources and then respond with the fact the "information is not available"

Just my thoughts
lenze

When I studied AI (low level) the standard test was considered the Turing Test.

Some people in my office are useless and should be easily replaced by computers :lol:

I doubt a computer will ever be truly "intelligent" but will be used for exactly the same as what they are now; to do things faster and more efficiently than a human could, it's just that what they will be required to do will be more complicated.

Back at the dawn of the computer they were just room-sized calculators, now they assist in almost every aspect of modern living/working, but fundimentally, they only ever do what they are told to, so the human must first "intelligently" understand before letting the computer in on it!

will the dollar still exist?
will computers still exist?
will humans still exist?
what will be the value of 1 $?
how would intelligence be defined?

1. Probably
2. Hopefully
3. Not if computers don't
4. It would be worth $1, its value against everything else is the key
5. Intelligence in the new generations seems to be going downhill, so perhaps in actual fact the question is "Will humans ever become dumber than computers are now?"

I used to teach people who were scared of computers. I would settle them down by telling them:

"A computer is a high-speed moron. all it does is count to 1 very fast".

That settled a few nerves. :-D I guess it comes down to tests like the one lenze mentioned, or a self-awareness test. When a computer can independently invent, analyse and solve a problem for a scenario that it has not seen before, it'll be getting there. Otherwise, for all the bells and whistles, it's still a fancy machine.

Denis

It's interesting to me that the most promising solutions toward AI tend to mirror the human brain. I think when you get right down too it, if we have AI it will end up being an organic computer that was taught using a nueral network.... So after all of our research and all of our progress we will probably end up reinventing the wheel. The real promise of AI is a better understanding of "I". By the the time we can create an AI, we will likely fully understand our own workings.
The issue raised, of course, is that knowledge is power. And what will we do with that knowlege? I am not optimistic, considering every really heinous deed humans have suffered throughout time has been inflicted by... Humans. So at best we create another us, and more ominously we create a more powerful us. Meanwhile we with a full understanding of us we would then have all the power we want to mess with us.
Glad I'll be dead for it.

An interesting topic to ponder. My personal belief is that computers will only surpass human intelligence or have true AI when one can pass the "I know what I know test"
An example: You ask me these questions
1)What is your birthday (July 4)
2)What is your daughter's birthday (July 18)
3)What is Abe Lincoln's birthday (Let me think about that. I learned that in Elem school. Oh yeah Feb 12)
4)What is Erik's birthday (I haven't a clue)

In the first 2 questions, I should know and readily respond. In the 3rd, I do know and I KNOW I know, but might need to cogitate to answer. For the 4th question, I don't know and I KNOW I don't know.

A computer does not have that quality. It does NOT know what it knows. It only can respond by checking its data sources and then respond with the fact the "information is not available"

Just my thoughts
lenze

Shucks - you are giving a computer way to much credit. I would be impressed if a computer could handle the following:

1) Mary lost her red balloon and then she cried
2) Mary's age is a) 0-15 or b) 15+

If the computer could answer the question correct (and not because it flipped a coin inside it's internal (infernal ?) chip) I would be impressed. It will be 1000 years before a computer could handle something as difficult as your test Lenze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaseyJones1979

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back