Gripe

So, I called HP again just now, since the Senior Rep hadn't called back, again. The guy I just spoke with told me that he now just left a voicemail with the Senior Rep to contact me. I told him the last guy I talked to left a voicemail and sent an email. He assured me that the Senior rep would call back.

I explained to him how incredibly disheartening this is. I also told him that I just want my money back. Guess what he told me? "Our retun policy clearly states that the computer must be returned within a [spefic] amount of time and I'm afraid it is past that deadline, Mr. Bardoni." Here's the thing. The only person who can arrange for you to get your money back is the Senior Rep. I asked this guy how he expected me to return the computer in the time alotted when the only person who could make that arrangement wouldn't call me back?

Finally fed up, I contacted my credit card company by email to dispute the charge. I explained that HP sold me a defective product and refuses to make good on it. Haven't heard back yet, but does anyone have any insight as to how this will play out with the credit card company?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Update:- After speaking with my credit card company, they told me that if the merchant does not make themselves available to settle a dispute then I have every right to challenge the charge to my credit card.

The credit card company will attempt to contact HP for their investigation into my claim (good luck getting someone on the phone.)

I am so disappointed that it had to come to this.

Your experience is certainly unfortunate.

My roommate purchased an HP Pavalion computer about a year ago. She had a key top fall off of the J key in the first couple of months and called HP to get it fixed. They sent a box to her, she sent it in and had it repaired and return in less than three days - pretty impressive I thought.

She has also had problems with the touchpad screen scrolling feature which took several calls into 'Indian' tech support to get resolved, but it did get fixed.

It is surprising to me that a company can be so two faced as this - good in some instances and poor in others. This is what happens when companies grow too large - different portions of the corporate structure can be so darn different in handling issues.

I hope it works out well for you.

Take Care.

Owen

From my discussion with the customer service rep yesterday it sounds like my case kept getting referred to the same Senior Rep. Finally, though, the guy that I spoke with yesterday told me he forwarded my case to a different Senior Rep, so we'll see what happens.

On the other hand, it's already past noon here in Detroit, MI and I still have yet to receive a phone call from HP.

*sigh*, pretty much at this point I am done. I'll let my credit card company handle it. It costs me nothing to have them investigate and the bottom line is that my computer will be returned and I will get my money back. At that point I can wash my hands of the entire thing and go buy a Dell.

Actually, does anyone have a suggestion for a good laptop (besides HP)? I want something small like 12".

Can't give any first hand suggestions because, as I mentioned earlier, my laptop's also an HP and is a bit of of a beast (more of a multimedia machine with Pentium 4, 3 fans to keep it cool and it weighs a ton so not really what you're looking for at all!!!)

But I did find a few reviews here:
http://www.notebookreview.com/reviews/

My second choice would have been a Dell though, if that helps!

Most PC manufacturers offshore tech support to one degree or another. You might find the following helpful, it was taken from this article in Smart Computing magazine Feb 2007.

<table border="1" bordercolor="#C0C0C0" bordercolordark="#FFFFFF" cellspacing="0"> <tr valign="top"> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="88" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Company</nobr></font></th> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Overall Grade</nobr></font></th> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Time On Hold</nobr></font></th> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Total Time</nobr></font></th> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Attitude</nobr></font></th> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="87" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Knowledge</nobr></font></th> <th bgcolor="#C0C0C0" width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Command Of English</nobr></font></th> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Sony</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A+</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Dell</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>C</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B</nobr></font></td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>eMachines</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Alienware</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="top"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B-</nobr></font></td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Gateway</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B+</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>D</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>C</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A</nobr></font></td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>HP/Compaq</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>C+</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>C</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>A-</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>B-</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="39" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>C</nobr></font></td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#FFFF99" width="88" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>Acer</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>F</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>N/A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>N/A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>N/A</nobr></font></td> <td width="87" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>N/A</nobr></font></td> <td width="63" height="22" align="center" valign="bottom"><font face="Monospace" size="1"><nobr>N/A</nobr></font></td> </tr></table>

Actually, does anyone have a suggestion for a good laptop (besides HP)? I want something small like 12".

I bought a Sony VGN-S360 about 2 years ago. It has served me quite well. I'm not sure that Sony still sells that model but whatever their equivalent is today may be worth looking at.

I have never had to call Sony about this laptop. However, my Sony digital camera took a nosedive out of warranty and I can't get any third party to fix it. Apparently only Sony or Sony authorized repair people have access to the repair manuals. (and Sony will charge me the cost of a new camera just to inspect the broken camera)

I'm pretty sure Sony products have a built in self destruct mechanism designed to kick in just as they go out of warranty. I've had an MD player, an MP3 player and a DVD player all go this same way. I decided in all cases to replace with new "other brand" products as I didn't think it would be worth trying to get them fixed.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Sony have this knack of being totally incompatible with anyone else. For example, the mains jacks on their portable CD/MD players are those ones with the yellow tips which are completely different to the selection of standard jacks you get with multi-voltage power adapters (you actually have to buy the "Sony" set of plugs. And as further evidence I give you BetaMax, MiniDisc and more recently BluRay. It's like they want the whole world to be using Sony products, but the world always says b%&&$r off we've got our own version and it's better. When will they learn?

I used to think highly of Sony but recently my loyalty has swayed, and from the sound of it, I'm glad I never tried to get my stuff fixed! (rant over)

Not wanting to give up the battle just yet, I found a phone number to one of their corporate offices and talked to a guy there. He gave me the same story, "A rep will call you within 48 hours...". I asked him, "I have been told this at least a dozen times...what do I do if they do not call?" He said to call him back directly! Finally, a point of contact!!!!

He also told me that "Susan" talked to me yesterday. I said, "Huh?!" He said that in the notes it says that I was contacted and spoke to a bunch of times. He even gave me exact times. I began laughing hysterically. He realized from my laughter that I indeed had not been contacted.

So, here I am...waiting ANOTHER 48 hours to go by. He said that they will call because the request is coming from the President's office. But we'll see...we will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back