Google Chrome

If you browse on a few tabs and CTRL + ALT + DEL
check the process and there are a few running for Chrome.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Even with several processes running it still uses less memory than FF or IE

Denis

I tested it last night against IE8 and it used more memory.

Click the "control of current Page" > Developer > Task Manager
Then click Stats for Nerds.

Adding one tab at a time kept kept Chrome above IE8

I haven't done an extended usage test though Maybe IE8 doesn't clear memory well and stays high.

That's one of Chrome's good points. Close a tab in Chrome and all the memory is released because each tab is a process. Close a tab in IE or FF and you may or may not get the memory back, depending on how it's fragmented.

I haven't tried IE8 yet but if it uses less memory than IE7 I'd be interested in trying it out.

Denis

I wanted to install Chrome last night but got sidetracked when my new hard drive turned up for my (dead) laptop and I had to try installing Vista on it. 3 fruitless hours later and I really didn't have the inclination to install Chrome on the desktop. Another service call to Dell is in the offing...

On my home pc it took less then 2 seconds to download and was running in under a minute.

I wanted to install Chrome last night but got sidetracked when my new hard drive turned up for my (dead) laptop and I had to try installing Vista on it. 3 fruitless hours later and I really didn't have the inclination to install Chrome on the desktop. Another service call to Dell is in the offing...
Ouch!

Hopefully you'll be up and running soon.

Denis

Another service call to Dell is in the offing

Hi Mr. Richard !

I would like to keep you informed that more than 80% of DELL Technical Support calls are transferred to India, here in Bombay or Bangalore. I have worked for almost 4 years in STREAM (Asia Pacific Division), a technical BPO where I was working for DELL CCOD Intraday MIS. I quit the BPO industry around 3 years back.

Believe me, the DELL Support techs are nothing but engineers in India who are struggling to get a break in the IT industry. STREAM hires them and makes them Support techs for DELL, MICROSOFT, Earthlink, RoadRunner, etc.

The hard truth here is all these tech support people suck Hi-time.

Anyone know how secure it is though? Am I ok to logon to my bank from this browser?
also didn't import my favourites from IE7 <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

I have not used Chrome but I can only say *my thumbs up* Firefox is the best when it comes to security & when you want to surf the internet without having any sort of hassles. I don't think I am going to give up using Firefox for another 2 years minimum.

Moreover, to add, Firefox has the option to import all your favorites from Internet Explorer in one go !! I had over 600 favorites and all were imported in a couple of seconds when I installed FF for the first time on my PC (around 1 year back).

Good luck :)

Hey Richard... I hope it wasn't a new one ?! :-(

I just took ownership of a spanking new XPS 1530 with all the trimmings... thus far no problemos...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back