Google Chrome

DonkeyOte

MrExcel MVP
Yowzers... anyone using Google Chrome as yet ? Seems super fast compared to Firefox... would appear their (Google) multi threading approach does the trick -- the future me thinks...

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I'm going to give it a try as soon as I am able. I am excited by the prospect of a very fast browser. It will be interesting to see how it compares to IE8 when that is released.

I'm going to give it a go too. I am currently finding that F3.01 is buggy, and crashes on my PC (running Vista Business). Also, it's a memory hog. I went behind the scenes and it was using about 100 MB! IE 7 was around 70 -- so much for lean, mean open source :-(

Update -- just installed it. Quick and snappy! I'm going to check out the feature set...

Denis

Last edited:
I'm trying Google Chrome right now for the first time. It is pretty quick - probably because it hasn't been loaded up with excessive cookies by all the websites I visit.....

I'm not sure what is up with FireFox - I have been using it for a long time and the latest version seems to run really slowly (mine also uses about 100MB Denis, Chrome is 31MB) and a couple of things aren't working as they should or did.......it's a shame because FF has been so good for so long.

Chrome seems to have the occasional issue with going back a page (using the back button) and I can't import my favourites directly from FF (and it thinks favourites is spelled incorrectly despite downloading the UK English version).....I will give it a spin and see what happens.

Andrew

P.S. Some things aren't intuitive - for instance, I have worked out how to add a bookmark/favourite, and I get a favourites bar when I open a new tab, but as soon as I navigate to a webpage, the toolbar disappears - must be an option somewhere, but that is a strange default behaviour.....

Last edited:
Seems super fast compared to Firefox... would appear their (Google) multi threading approach does the trick -- the future me thinks...

I am excited by the prospect of a very fast browser

Guys, I am missing something here !! What do you mean by *FAST BROWSERS* ? It is the ISP bandwidth which is responsible for connection speeds, I reckon.

How can browsers control the speed ? Sure, they can handle the surfing activity effectively and that is where we compare browsers for either ones which are *handy* but controlling connection speeds - sounds greek to me :confused:

It comes down, among other things, to the speed of the rendering engine. Just did a comparison loading a large, data and graphics-heavy page in FF3 and Chrome; I used smh.com.au as a test. Chrome displays the page faster, not only on first load but when you return to the page from elsewhere on the site.
I agree -- ISP and connection speed are crucial but if you have a fast connection, the performance of the browser is relevant (it may even be relevant on a slow connection but I can't test that).

Denis

Hi

I'm testing Chrome and it seems faster. I'm using Vista.

I had, however, problems with the installation.

I did what I always do when installing an application. I logged on to the Manager area and installed Chrome. Everything seemed OK and so I logged off and logged on to my user area. No sign of Chrome!!! Not even in the Program Files folder.

I had to install the program again, this time directly from the user area (against my rules). Now it works fine, but must I install it from each user's area? Seems odd.

Maybe I missed some installation option?

I've been running IE8 for a few weeks and although thats still in Beta as well haven't noticed any real improvements.

Some site do screw up in IE8 though so I do have to occasionally "emulate IE7"

Gonna give Chrome a try now.

I logged on to the Manager area and installed Chrome

does right click>run as administrator not have the same effect?

downloaded, installed and tested in 5 minutes - Easy and painless.

And your right it is quick. I was thinking along the lines of stormseeds post - but it is quicker. and my connection at the moment is across a office network on a 2MB/s broadband line.

Gonna install this at home now and scrap IE.

Anyone know how secure it is though? Am I ok to logon to my bank from this browser?

also didn't import my favourites from IE7

Last edited:
I don't know much about security side of things... I've always preferred FF to IE on that basis though...

From what I read I believe Chrome is designed such that it multi threads so can handle server side & client side scripting more efficiently than normal... they released a "comic book" of their plans (as only Google could) -- not a bad read...

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back