getting the sum of numbers in a string

LFKim2018

I have data in a cell of 1 to maximum of 10 numbers with + sign in between them, but they can not be added as yet for they are part of a string. How would be the formula or the function for its sum?
example:
Column A Column B
1+9.5 sum formula (10.5)
2+11+100 sum formula (113)
37+50+9+7.75 sum formula (103.75)
4+3+1000+77+1+10 sum formula (1095)
and so on....
up to a combination of ten numbers - always with a plus sign in between the numbers.
the numbers can be any number with or without decimal.
using of helper columns is ok.
many many thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Mr. Peter_SSs
Actually I am helping a certain Mr. Chen in his work. With your formula I think it worked but I am thinking of VBA which is a more dynamic approach to the problem.
I know the format for a subroutine but I do not know the proper syntax.
it could go like:

Code:
Sub AddDigitsInAString()
    LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row    
    For i = 2 to Lastrow
        Digits(Range("A" & i)  > B    'pull out numbers from the string in order together with the "+" signs and place it at Column B
        SumDigits  > C                   'sum the string digits in Column B and place result in column C
   Next
   Range("D2")=sum(C:C)      'place sum of column C to Cell D2
End Sub

[I]the function by Mr. Rick Rothstein (don't know if it will work in the above sub)
[/I]
Function Digits(ByVal S As String) As String 'Courtesy of Rick Rothstein
    Dim X As Long
    For X = 1 To Len(S)
        If Mid(S, X, 1) Like "[!0-9,.,+]" Then Mid(S, X) = Chr(1)
    Next
    Digits = Trim(Replace(S, Chr(1), ""))
End Function

many many thanks

Upvote 0
No, you mustn't have the sharing quite right yet. That link requires me to log in (which I can do but shouldn't have to) and even if I log in the link is not taking me to your file. Have a bit more of a look about how to share with anybody. When you hover over the file in your dropbox there should be a 'Share' button appear at the right (or use the 3 dots at the right) then click 'Copy link' to the right of 'Anyone with the link can view this file'

Upvote 0
No, you mustn't have the sharing quite right yet. That link requires me to log in (which I can do but shouldn't have to) and even if I log in the link is not taking me to your file. Have a bit more of a look about how to share with anybody. When you hover over the file in your dropbox there should be a 'Share' button appear at the right (or use the 3 dots at the right) then click 'Copy link' to the right of 'Anyone with the link can view this file'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx9dy9jhtkakc7u/sumdigits.PNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/peqpi2rypnjns5e/Test for Mr. Chen.xlsm?dl=0

could the above be the one?

Upvote 0
could the above be the one?
Yes, I can get the file now thanks. As I suspected, the formula you were claiming does more than 9 numbers does not.

Your posts 8 & 10 say that this formula worked for 10 or 15 numbers:
=SUMPRODUCT(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1&REPT("+0",9),"+",REPT(" ",100)),{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}*100-99,100)+0)

However, the file you have provided is not using that formula at all, but the following formula (from post 5) ;)
=SUMPRODUCT(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+",REPT(" ",100)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&((LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+","")))+1)))*100-99,100)+0)

This formula does work for more numbers - I never said it only worked for 9 :)
The reason I offered the the different formula in post 6 was for if you wanted to avoid using a volatile function (INDIRECT) that could slow your sheet down if you have a lot of those formulas in it.

Hope it is clear now.

BTW, it looks like you are using these formula and a udf to eventually sum the numbers within strings in a range.
Instead of the various helper columns, defined Names, volatile functions etc, you could just have a single UDF to get the sum directly. Here is one way

Code:
Function SumR(r As Range) As Double
  Dim c As Variant, itm As Variant

With CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = "\d+(\.?\d*)"
    For Each c In r.Cells
      For Each itm In .Execute(c.Value)
        SumR = SumR + itm
      Next itm
    Next c
  End With
End Function

Then to get the result you have in cell D1 directly, just use =SumR(A1:A7)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I can get the file now thanks. As I suspected, the formula you were claiming does more than 9 numbers does not.

Your posts 8 & 10 say that this formula worked for 10 or 15 numbers:
=SUMPRODUCT(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1&REPT("+0",9),"+",REPT(" ",100)),{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}*100-99,100)+0)

However, the file you have provided is not using that formula at all, but the following formula (from post 5) ;)
=SUMPRODUCT(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+",REPT(" ",100)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&((LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+","")))+1)))*100-99,100)+0)

This formula does work for more numbers - I never said it only worked for 9 :)
The reason I offered the the different formula in post 6 was for if you wanted to avoid using a volatile function (INDIRECT) that could slow your sheet down if you have a lot of those formulas in it.

Hope it is clear now.

BTW, it looks like you are using these formula and a udf to eventually sum the numbers within strings in a range.
Instead of the various helper columns, named ranges, volatile functions etc, you could just have a single UDF to get the sum directly. Here is one way

Code:
Function SumR(r As Range) As Double
  Dim c As Variant, itm As Variant

With CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = "\d+(\.?\d*)"
    For Each c In r.Cells
      For Each itm In .Execute(c.Value)
        SumR = SumR + itm
      Next itm
    Next c
  End With
End Function

Then to get the result you have in cell D1 directly, just use =SumR(A1:A7)

Mr. Peter_SSs
WOW! so much simplicity!!
many many thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back