Extract 8 character number from text string

chive90

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
In Column C I have a URL which will sometimes contain an 8 character number.

In Column D I wish to enter a formula which will extract this 8 character number. If an 8 character number is not found, it will leave the cell blank.

I have searched and come across multiple formula's that do not work properly for my requirement. For example, I found: =MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(--MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(C2))),8)),--MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(C2))),8)))

However this also seems to return a random 5 digit number when a date is captured in Column C.

I only wish for 8 digit numbers to be returned when they are together as one string. For example 87438483 would be returned, but 877 32 77 9 would not.

There could be instances of less or more numbers together, for example 10 characters 8467309238. I do not want the first 8 returned in this case, this example should return a blank.
I also do not want 8 characters returned if they contain a mixture of other characters and numbers e.g. 10/10/2024 - this is 8 numbers but not 8 continual numbers so a blank should be returned.

Thanks for your help

This part determines whether it returns, the 1st, 2nd etc value ["&COLUMNS($E8:E8)&"]
What happens if you use
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(TEXT(FILTERXML("<k><m>"&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($C8," ","/"),"/","</m><m>")&"</m></k>","//m[string-length()=8 and number()][2]"),"00000000"),"")
assuming C8 has 2 8 digit numbers

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
=IFERROR(TEXT(FILTERXML("<k><m>"&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($C8," ","/"),"/","</m><m>")&"</m></k>","//m[string-length()=8 and number()][2]"),"00000000"),"")

This now returns the second of the two 8 digit numbers in C8, in E8. But none in F8.

The formula before returned the first of the two 8 digit numbers, and this updated formula returns the second of the two 8 digit numbers.

Upvote 0
Must have something to do with the way that 2016 handles the result from the filterxml function.
All i can suggest is you use that formula in F & for E replace the [2] with [1]

Upvote 0
Perhaps a vba function would solve compatibility issues. Not sure what that would look like!

Upvote 0
Must have something to do with the way that 2016 handles the result from the filterxml function.
All i can suggest is you use that formula in F & for E replace the [2] with [1]

That's fine. Using the formula in F with a [2] and G with a [3] etc seems to work perfectly so happy to do that.

Many thanks for all of your help as always.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back