Get rid of merged cells! Debate

I am old school on this, I suppose. I use two spaces after a period. Probably an old habit from days pounding out term papers on the old typewriter.

Now with computers and word processing programs, one space after a period is hardly noticible.

But, old habits die hard. I will continue to use two spaces after a period.

---dave

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Just my two cent's worth - I tend to avoid merging cells. The only time there is any reason at all for merging them is when you prepare the final report after all the number crunching has been done and you want a pretty layout - even then you better be **** sure that you arent going to have to re-arrange your reporting format at some point.

I know I'm kinda late to weigh in, but I had the 2 cents to spare... :)

Quote from rorya
I can resist everything except temptation.

Isn't that an Oscar Wilde quote?

(I thought the "I have nothing to declare except my genius" one would have been more appropriate for Rory ;) )

From Wiki! (for those who are interested)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Historically, typesetting in all European languages has a long tradition of using spaces of varying widths for the express purpose of enhancing readability. American, English, French, and other European typesetters' style guides—also known as printers' rules—specified spacing rules which were all essentially identical from the 18th century onwards.<o:p></o:p>
The single-width space is a relatively recent invention, dating from the invention of the typewriter, which carried over into computer keyboards and subsequent electronic font definitions.<o:p></o:p>

Following the widespread adoption of the typewriter, French spacing and English spacing were terms describing French-language typists' and English-language typists' differing standardized typewriter approximations with single-width spaces of traditional typesetters' spacing rules:<o:p></o:p>
  • French spacing inserted spaces around most punctuation marks, but single-spaced after sentences, colons, and semicolons.<o:p></o:p>
  • English spacing removed spaces around most punctuation marks, but double-spaced after sentences, colons, and semicolons.<o:p></o:p>

So I guess it's about readability (and Emma, I never said I was infalable!!)

<o:p></o:p>
More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_spacing

Or even infallible ;)

Thank you for the Wiki though - I didn't know it was a printing thing.

Well, if we're going to quote Mr. Wilde... :)

I wasn't sure if you were being ironic or not... but I couldn't have Rory pick me up on another overlooked error :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back