Forum hangs a lot

The Forum Search functionality. That's not magic, that's a DB query.

Just wondering what the implications of implementing a Google search function on the forum like they have done at vbaexpress.com.
Not saying that MrExcel should because they did but it seems to work fairly well.

I realize that the internal search will search the Db itself and Google needs to have crawled the site...

NateO you even suggest to use Google to search MrExcel; here.
Just wondering if adding a Google search was discussed at some point, the admins here seem to have thought through so many aspects of this site...

The thing that I like about having the search feature right on the site is that it by passes the site:mrexcel.com typing each search...

Cheers,

Mark

The Google search should be cached, while the process of caching will chew up bandwidth, as the bots crawl through the site.

I meant the actual advertisements you see here, which help keep this site funded. In that sense, they're great, but they don't always load efficiently. You can see it if you watch your status bar.

It's a trade-off.

The Google search should be cached, while the process of caching will chew up bandwidth, as the bots crawl through the site...
...It's a trade-off.

Yeah, always some downside eh?! Is there some way to benchmark direct Db queries against the bot-crawl, in terms of bandwidth chew and site performance? It has been a long time since I have been involved in web related development and the game has changed considerably, I am not sure that what I know is still valid!! :LOL:

Has the Google search been concidered for the site before? I would infer that it has been discussed, due to your comment about bot-crawl but I am not sure.

On a side note, I thought that the forum was slow due to issues on my end, infact I could not really comment on the performace of the site due to the situation at my office.

Love the site btw.
Cheers!

Since Bill made the announcement (a couple of weeks ago?) about having the site performance looked at I haven't experienced a complete "hang".

There is an occasional delay of about 5 to 10 sesonds but the page eventually opens.

(y)

I haven't noticed any improvement at all. Throught the afternoon I get database errors, gateway timeout etc two out of every three times I try to log on. I just took me numerous attempts and the best part of 15 minutes to get through to this thread.

It's got to the point where I don't bother a lot of the time [hears collective sigh of relief].

Hopefully things will get better because I'm sure I can't be the only one still having these problems.

Dom

I haven't been on much just lately, but certainly this past week has been pretty dreadful - there just doesn't seem much point to me trying to post between 12pm and 4pm GMT as the database seems to be kaput all the time. I get fed up and go elsewhere.

I also have not been here much lately, but today I have had many issues posting. But I could never stop coming back. ;) This site has been too valuable to me.

the last 2 weeks or so have been much better (since Mr. Excel made a post about it), but today has been a drag.

Like Richard, I pretty much give up between 1200 - 1600 GMT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back