Forum hangs a lot

The only way this is a "high traffic" issue is if the forum is being run on an Apple IIe or Amiga. With only a few hundred visitors at any given time, there's nowhere near enough traffic on this site to warrant the consistent timeouts, page load failures and overall lag. Like many here, I participate on a number of forums (including non-excel related forums) and this is the only one that gives me grief.

Between my four PC's at home (5mb cablemodem) and office (multi-T1), I use a variety of Firefox and IE browser versions and operating systems (XP Home, XP Pro, Windows 7) and all experience the same thing. Occasionally the site will respond at a decent clip and then one click later it will hang.

I was going to start my own thread about this when I came across this one, so I'm glad I'm not losing my mind (yet).

Occasionally the site will respond at a decent clip and then one click later it will hang.
Yep!

I usually come here very late at night, after 12:00 AM EST, and the traffic would be considered very light at that time.

I currently see 714 users on, including guests, and they're running queries (Search). That's a bit of a load.

It's funny you should mention 12:00 am EST, I get the same thing at 11:00 pm CST. We back up the DB every evening. ;)

The Forum Search functionality. That's not magic, that's a DB query.

Sorry, my lame attempt at humor...

Seems like at any given moment the first page of the forum has at least 2 question that are essentially:

"How do I add a range using multiple criteria"

Oh - I see. Also part of the problem - that chews up bandwidth.

There's other potential issues, too. I've noticed Google ads lagging sometimes which slows page-load, I've noticed 3rd party ads causing slow page-load on Facebook, as well.

Just so we're clear on this...

I'm not complaining. I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced what I do using an old browser. Maybe I should upgrade for other reasons?

If it were a "serious" issue I'd probably not come here.

:cool:

I often experience this lag, so to speak, as well. I thought it was the network I am often on but it will hiccup at any given time while in or attempting to go into the forum. This happens at home as well. At work I use IE and at home FF.

When this happens I always look at numbers for people viewing the forums and sometimes it seems fairly light as I peruse the boards at all hours of the day/night.

Not complaining, as it could hang 75% of the time and I would still like this board, as its members knowledge is quite impressive.

For me the slowness seems to appear sporadically from about 1pm GMT onwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back