forum ads

diddi

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Ads in threads; what a disgrace. Discuss.

Re: MrExcel lowers its standards...

You don't pay for this forum. Discuss. ;) Or use an Ad blocker.

Last edited:

MrExcel lowers its standards...
Ads in threads; what a disgrace.
Who do you think pays for the board? It may be free for you, but it is not free to run a forum, especially one of this size.

Many forums like ours subsidize the costs with click revenue (offhand I only know of one that doesn't, which, however, does have donate buttons instead). Our forum is quite moderate on the whole when it comes to ads. But feel free to use an ad blocker or javascript blocker - at the end of the day you really don't have to see the ads.

Nota bene: changed thread title to "forum ads" ... seems a little more neutral that way ;)

Last edited:

I'm sure we did discuss this before...

I know that the guys worked hard on finding a means to position a few small ads so that they won't clutter the content and won't be obtrusive. A busy forum like this costs money. If we had just a few hundred members posting occasionally perhaps a free phpBB3 forum on shared hosting would be an option. Fortunately for us this is a very popular and busy forum, but unfortunately that incurs cost. The ads don't even cover all of the cost. Bill pays for the rest out of his own pocket.

It's a very (very!) small price to pay for all of the great learning we get from this forum, not least of all you diddi! Compare your Excel knowledge you have now compared with when you first joined. I see a marked improvement. Indeed you have used this forum to the extent of 2334 posts as at this writing (many valuable contributions I am happy to add), but I suspect your own contributions have helped you develop your own skills quite considerably. This still comes at a cost to someone - that someone being Bill...

Would you favour a subscription fee?

P.S. I have moved this thread to "About this forum". ;)

Last edited:

But feel free to use an ad blocker or javascript blocker - at the end of the day you really don't have to see the ads.
Personally I choose not to use Ad Blocker for MrE. I see it as my small contribution to a great resource... :)

Also, so far on this page there are 1267 words! Of which 12 are ads words (.95% or all words), and one link refers to the ad. Hardly worth getting our knickers in a twist over!

Last edited:

I just wish that there could be a way found to reposition the ad in the first post so it doesn't compress any code window as l end up having to adjust my zoom settings (luckily my mouse can do this) or pasting the code in a module.
But as already been said this is a small inconvenience, well worth it for the forum remaining free to use and appreciate all the time and effort everyone puts in to maintain it.

I find ads repulsive, but I barely notice the ads here. Perhaps I should amend my previous sentence to: I find intrusive ads repulsive.

Whatever it takes to keep my favorite resource in business...don't know what I'd do with out you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back