Export to notepad?

Dave Punky

Board Regular
Hi all,

This is going to sound like a strange request, but I want a macro to basically copy some text into a blank notepad document.

So for example, if I wanted to copy cells A1 to A12 it would literally just copy the text and paste it into a new notepad document.

The reason for doing this is due to my ongoing lazyness I'm gonna make a spreadsheet that basically writes all my notes for me now, but copying it into notepad will remove any formatting (cell layout) and font formatting before I copy it into the database I have to enter this information into. I've chosen notepad too because I know as it's a base windows component (mostly) it'll be installed on any machine I use, while Word probably won't be.

I'm pretty sure this is possible as I've seen data copied to Word no problem, just wondering what the best way for doing this is?

That code actually looks like it would be really useful for something else I want to do in the future.

In regards to this request though it really needs to be in .txt format to copy it over as the database in question is not the coventional type like Access, it's more a web based pile of cack with a text editor built into a webpage which updates the "database". If you copy stuff direct from Excel all kinds of crazyness happens and basically you have to start again, but if you copy from notepad it's fine. It's hard to explain really without being able to demostrate it.

It's not me being daft and adding an extra unnessicery step, it's more of an advantage to do it this way without adding more time to my day. I hope that makes sense, because reading it back it seems like I'm crazy.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Nope, it makes perfect sense. Sometimes we have to work with what we have and if you only have a web interface for uploading information then thats what you have to work with :).

That code actually looks like it would be really useful for something else I want to do in the future.

In regards to this request though it really needs to be in .txt format to copy it over as the database in question is not the coventional type like Access, it's more a web based pile of cack with a text editor built into a webpage which updates the "database". If you copy stuff direct from Excel all kinds of crazyness happens and basically you have to start again, but if you copy from notepad it's fine. It's hard to explain really without being able to demostrate it.

It's not me being daft and adding an extra unnessicery step, it's more of an advantage to do it this way without adding more time to my day. I hope that makes sense, because reading it back it seems like I'm crazy.

Upvote 0
Here is a method that I have used to replace tab characters with commas to separate cells on the same row. Be sure to set the Reference as noted.

Code:
Sub test()
    Dim rc As Variant
    Dim s As String, s2 As String

s = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Fruits.txt"

[A1] = "Fruit"
    [A2] = "Apple"
    [A3] = "Grape"
    [A4] = "Orange"
    [B1] = "Color"
    [B2] = "Red/Golden"
    [B3] = "Red/Green"
    [B4] = "Orange"

Range("A1:B4").Copy
    s2 = Replace(getClipboard(), vbTab, ",")
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    MakeTXTFile s, s2

rc = Shell("notepad " & s, vbNormalFocus)
    'Kill s
End Sub

Sub MakeTXTFile(filePath As String, str As String)
    Dim hFile As Integer
    If Dir(FolderPart(filePath), vbDirectory) = "" Then
         MsgBox filePath, vbCritical, "Missing Folder"
        Exit Sub
    End If

hFile = FreeFile
    Open filePath For Output As #hFile
    If str <> "" Then Print #hFile, str
    Close hFile
End Sub

Function FolderPart(sPath As String) As String
    FolderPart = Left(sPath, InStrRev(sPath, "\"))
End Function

Function getClipboard()
'Add Reference:   'Reference: Microsoft Forms xx Object
    Dim MyData As DataObject

On Error Resume Next
    Set MyData = New DataObject
    MyData.GetFromClipboard
    getClipboard = MyData.GetText
End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back