Excel Ribbon

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the best thing about Excel 2007 is that the formula bar no longer infringes into the grid.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
It'd be better if it had a setting to grow to as many lines as possible to show the formula.

One of the few things Excel 2007 got right was adding [Ctrl]+[Alt]+V as a shortcut for Paste Special, though arguably not quite as good as Star/Open/LibreOffice Calc's [Shift]+[Ctrl]+V shortcut.

Did you mean Ctrl+Alt+v,v because Ctrl+Alt+v only brings up the pastespecial dialog for me in 2007. It's a quicker option than Alt+e,s,v though (or Alt+h,v,v) although the position of the keys is a pita.

It'd be better if it had a setting to grow to as many lines as possible to show the formula.

I thought 2007 DOES have that . . . :confused:

Double down arrows to the right of the formula box ?
Or click and drag the thin grey line above the column header letters ?
Or are we talking about something else ?

I should have added the word automatically. You can manually set the number of lines in the formula bar, or scroll it, or collapse it to a single line, but there's no setting to display all of a really long formula automatically, i.e., almost in the same way Excel 2003 and prior do - just not hiding column headings.

Oh I see. I'll have to look again in 2003, I don't use it much these days, but I THINK that's a small thing I actually prefer about 2007.

I'd agree that preventing formulas from expanding over column headers in the worksheet frame is useful, but that was accomplished by making the size of the formula bar static except for manual, interactive resizing. If that's what you'd prefer, fine. However, I'd like an option (which you wouldn't need to use) which would tell the formula bar to resize automatically in order to show all cell contents.

If it automatically resized would you still want it to shift the entire grid though? I can just picture the grid wobbling up and down as I tab across a row. I'd hate that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back