Excel Ribbon

daniels012

I have used Excel for about 20 years now. I was an avid Quattro Pro user before that.

I would like to here anyone's opinion about their thoughts on the Excel Ribbons. I know they came out in '07 version of Excel. I just would like to here pro's and con's on what the experts have to say.

My personal opinion is I really don't like them. I found that I recreated most of my mostly used items in my Quick Access Toolbar.

I have found that it actually has slowed me down. Many times when I have a ribbon open Data Validate or Unprotect a sheet I then want to change a font... so I have to move up and go over to another ribbon. A task much easier in older versions.

I would love to hear others thoughts and also give feedback to the powers that be at Microsoft.

Michael D

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I’m getting used to the ribbon but yeah, I think I have moved from hate to mild dislike.

Although I am still using 2003 on my main computer and 2010 on the laptop, so I’m not helping myself with a foot in both camps.
I find things that I generally use together like conditional formatting and name manager should be closer.

There is probably some logic to the layout but it’s a new tricks and old dogs scenario. Maybe I should get rid of the old 2003 version and mentally move over.

I used to find this helpful for the basic stuff
http://office.microsoft.com/asstvid.aspx?&type=flash&assetid=XT010149329&vwidth=1044&vheight=788

The Ribbon grows on you, although I'm certainly not a fan, it was a direction in the product's evolution that had to be taken. Note that Bill Gates was deadset against it, because he feared that it would alientate the exisitng user base. But they had to have a way to market to newer users who are used to a more graphical element. Fortunately, most of your old keyboard shortcuts still work, although in many cases, it takes an additional keystroke to let the Ribbon know that you want an older shortcut.

If you start to learn the Ribbon shortcuts you'll find it to get easier.

Have you got a good source for the ribbon shortcuts Smitty? I would find that useful.

I have uninstalled all legacy versions of Excel (prior to 2007) to force myself to use the ribbon and learn it. I am really struggling to do so - the old interface just made sense to me, whereas the new is a different beast. I use Alt+e+s+v to paste values a lot, and I find in 2007/2010 that I need to leave a brief paue between the s+v otherwise I just end up with a paste all. It is very frustrating.

Firefly2012,
I use Alt+e+s+v to paste values a lot

I use this a lot myself. I agree a simple shortcut would be easier. I now use my Custom Access bar all the time for this. (Not easier just convenient enough)

Smitty,
Being from way back before a mouse I also know the keyboard shortcuts. I can't believe they actually changed quite a few of them. One I use a lot is Control-F2 to go to Print Preview.

Michael D

and I find in 2007/2010 that I need to leave a brief paue between the s+v otherwise I just end up with a paste all. It is very frustrating.

I haven't had that issue. In Excel 2010, I hit Alt+e+s+v just as fast as I did back in 2003, and it works fine. :eeek:

Firefly2012,

I use this a lot myself. I agree a simple shortcut would be easier. I now use my Custom Access bar all the time for this. (Not easier just convenient enough)

Smitty,
Being from way back before a mouse I also know the keyboard shortcuts. I can't believe they actually changed quite a few of them. One I use a lot is Control-F2 to go to Print Preview.

Michael D

Ctrl + F2 still takes you into Print Preview.

Thanks Smtty :)

That's interesting about you (Smitty, MrKowz) not facing any lag - I definitely get it in both 2007, 2010 and across different computers so i don't think I'm imagining it.

Try the code workaround.

With Selection
.Copy
.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End With

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back