Excel Clipboard No Longer Clears Automatically

B5rocksass

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Ugh its so irritating that it holds onto the clipboard data unless I clear it manually. I can't stand it. I don't know why it is doing this all of a sudden other than there seem to be dozens of periodic changes that happen now that everything is cloud-based. Anyway, if someone can please please please advise me how to adjust the settings so that excel ALWAYS CLEARS THE CLIPBOARD AFTER PASTING - I would be extremely grateful. I've looked online but I can't find a non-manual solution. Thank you very much!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
B5rocksass,

Try the following in a copy of your workbook.

Rich (BB code):
' after each of your pasting command lines of code, add the following line of code:

Application.CutCopyMode = False

If the above does not help, then, can we see all of your macro code?

When posting VBA code, please use Code Tags - like this:

[code=rich]

'Paste your code here.

[/code]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm performing simple copy and paste CTRL + C, CTRL + V...I'm not using code.

Upvote 0
My experience is that (for all versions of Excel), if I Copy a cell, select another and Paste, then go to a third cell and paste again, the data from the first cell is pasted into the third cell. This goes on until I Copy something else (either in Excel or another application).

I don't know that "clear the clipboard after Paste" is a good idea. I do know that it has never the behavior that Excel exhibited.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not a code person, but I've done macros and pivottables for the past 5yrs, and I've never had Excel hold onto a copy after the initial paste. Maybe it was a setting that was grandfathered in from the person that was using my computer before me but now it remembers, and every time I make a move afterwards the options are INSERT PASTE ROW first and then the other options, instead of going right to INSERT. The original copy continues to have the rotating lines around it and its infuriating. And because much of what I do involves complex reports with 10+ tabs, now Excel is behaving slowly...mostly because it needs to remember 2000+ copied lines until I close the file or copy something else. I can't be imagining things...it didn't do this before. In my google searches, it seems so many people want to know how to prevent the clipboard from clearing after their paste, but I want it to automatically clear after mine. There's got to be a setting for that, right?

Upvote 0
Which version of Excel are you using?

Does pressing Esc after pasting not clear it?

Upvote 0
My experience is that (for all versions of Excel), if I Copy a cell, select another and Paste, then go to a third cell and paste again, the data from the first cell is pasted into the third cell. This goes on until I Copy something else (either in Excel or another application).

I don't know that "clear the clipboard after Paste" is a good idea. I do know that it has never the behavior that Excel exhibited.
Me too. I can always paste, paste and paste. Excel never automatically clears clipboard.

Sometimes, my mouse mulfunctions. A single click became a double click which put Excel in edit mode ("File/Options/Advanced/Allow editing directly in cells" was enabled). In that case, the clipboard is cleared. So, another option (other than pressing ESC) is to double click a blank cell to clear clipboard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back