Excel 2011

First Off I use both OSs and I am not a rabid fan-boy. I started using Macs in my graphic design days. But more to the point I am interested in why Apple has been so successful.

I believe one of the main reasons Apple is successful is they don't sell the latest hardware and they don't sell software. They have perfected controlling a message and selling an experience coupled with a design philosophy that understands the relationships between all aspects of their business. The fan-boys don't often realize what they "love", and the haters often get hung up on tech specs. But Apple's claim to have "changed everything" is true, just not in the sense of offering cutting-edge technology.

I have observed that often the "haters" are generally relatively tech savvy (most commenters here are included) and therefore want/demand/expect a high level of control, look at what you all force Excel to do. But Apple's target are the less savvy, people who just want-it-to-work and for the most part they are satisfied. Of course there are THE stories of things that go bad, but nobody is perfect. But they have inarguably altered the conversation.

Like others have pointed out, no one gave video calling a second thought six years ago... And now the media outlets talk about "iPod/iPhone like" features, even Rim's new blackberry OS reeks of the iPhone interface. Microsoft actually improved the interface with their windows 7 phone (as far as I have seen). But the fact remains, Apple has altered the course of development, at least until another company realizes that to be spectacularly successful you need to do more than sell a good widget, you need a whole infrastructure behind it, and you sell the package not the widget. (again for those who want control, you are not the market)

What is interesting is I have friends in the film industry that use Macs for editing etc and they are becoming displeased with Apple because they feel that the new line-up does not meet the power needs they have come to rely on in the past. I guess shooting up the middle makes enemies on both fringes.

It is so much more than any one individual product.
Ok I'm done.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Apple does sell software though? (iWork, iLife etc)
I think their reputation is largely built on quality and reliability (as well as from the days when all PCs looked identically dull beige - now of course they are all black), which is, it must be said, largely down to the fact that they have complete control over the OS and its hardware.
You can get serious performance from Mac Pros, but only if you have an enormous wallet! :)

You can get serious performance from Mac Pros, but only if you have an enormous wallet! :)
From what my friends say it is not near the power it used to be. Definitely a over-powered email box, but when editing uncompressed HD film, not enough horsepower.

Don't get me wrong, Apple does "sell" software (and hardware) but that is not their core product(s) it is only part of their product, which is the Apple experience.

But I wax long and boring. I just find it a fascinating business model.

If 2 6-core Xeons and 32GB RAM is underpowered, I'd love to know what they do want. ;)

If 2 6-core Xeons and 32GB RAM is underpowered, I'd love to know what they do want. ;)
LOL!! I don't know. I have never tried to edit uncompress RED camera footage before. Or I don;t know what it is like working with the 3D stuff.

I could be a case of the new line-up is not bad but it is not the "WOW, so MUCH better than other options out there". I guess the PC world has caught up to the power of the Mac at a better price...

The price of business eh? win a battle, lose a battle...

Apple is trying to sell me a copy.
Has anyone tried it yet?
Does it have VBA?

Mike,
I tried some basic code in the new 2011 excel and it worked they way I expected it to.
Although, I could not figure out how to get "help" to work :huh: (oh help!).
I could not find the contextual help dialog at all. Weird.
HTH.

Mark.

Back to the iPhone (I'm not an owner, not a hater - unless it's making a noise while I'm trying to read).

But they do have an app for everything. Even Catholic priests can keep up to date with their latest sins using the 'Confession' app (I can see a system overload coming soon as a billion Hail Marys are issued like Facebook pokes).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12391129

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xuebohan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back