Error Messages and Best Practices

CPGDeveloper

Board Regular
Hi Everyone --

I administer an application -- MS Access FE/Azure SQL BE -- would love to get people's opinions on best practices concerning Error Messages.

This application has, at the moment, has 120 different possible error messages, and I have put these error messages in a back end table, and written a public subroutine to access the proper message in code. Something like this:

VBA Code:
Sub ErrorMessage(enum as Integer)

Dim emsg As String
Dim ers As New Adodb.recordset
Dim esql as String

esql = "SELECT message FROM temessage WHERE id = " & enum & ";"
ers.open currentproject.connection, esql
emsg = ers.Fields(0).value
ers.close
set ers = nothing

Msgbox emsg

End Sub

So in my application, when there is an instance to pop-up an error message, instead of

MsgBox "This is your error"

I use the subroutine to find the stored error message

Call errormessage(25) '25 being the 'This is your error' message

The idea being that if the messages changes, I simply change it in the table, as opposed to having to change the code and put out a new version. Is this overkill? How is this usually done? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Maybe a wee bit of overkill. You could simply DLookup() instead of opening/closing a recordset as well as making a connection.
Don't really need Call statement but it's not wrong either.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback Micron -- I've gone back and forth about Dlookups -- one one hand its obviously less code to write, but I also somehow have it in my head that Dlookups are optimized for local tables, not so much for linked SQL Server tables -- but I'm not sure why i think that -- I also came across this article -- advocating for another alternative to dlookups, if anyone finds this of interest --

Upvote 0
I like it. I don't consider it overkill at all, it's all about future maintenance.

Personally, and I'd like to assume others do the same thing, I control procedural level code through table values whenever I get to the point of assembling a single complete process. For example, enabling a specific location for a specific set of code/process but take that to the extreme in that everything that needs to be persistent and related to a given process is stored in a table. Usually it ends up as normalized 2-3 tables in a parent/child arrangement.

Mike

Upvote 0
Good to know Mike -- thanks for the feedback -- I'm also wondering if I should create a Public Enum for this, but at some point, I feel like that just becomes fancier hard coding. I suppose in any kind of development, we always have to assess if the amount of labor makes sense for what is being done.

Upvote 0
I suspect that the slowness referred to was mainly due to doing domain aggregate functions, although they didn't say. Have to wonder what the outcome would have been by removing those and only using 1 lookup as you might be. I wouldn't put aggregating over table field(s) in the same boat as returning a single record, but have to admit I can't recall if I ever did DLookup on anything other than Access tables.

This was a draft on my phone. Maybe not timely but oh well ...

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back